Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What surgery is most common?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
As Spineys, we all know about the various parts of the spine that can cause situations in which surgery is required.

Without any poll or something to that end, I am curious to see what surgical procedure is most common.

For all of my lumbar surgeries, Hemilaminotomy (laminotomy) and partial facetectomy was the one of choice. For all of my lumbar surgeries, I was never fused. Today, my surgeon realizes that was a mistake and could have contributed to my ongoing spinal surgeries.

Today we all hear about
360 Fusion
Artificial disc replacement,

What was yours?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• stats a while back, think they were from insurance companies coding for spinal surgeries, that discectomy was the most common surgery

Ron , how many levels did you have Hemilaminotomy (laminotomy) and partial facetectomy ? Did it help? and what probs do you have now with those areas, pain, movement, reduced activity level etc

• on L4/L5 with decompression (discectomy, laminectomy and wide undercutting of the facet joints.

Here in the UK, it was called a circumferential fusion. That had me in a panic as the definition on-line said it was a 360 fusion. My surgeon managed to do it all just with an incision in the back, over my spine.

I also wonder which level is the most common.

• The MicroD was in 2003. The fusion was in 2008.
  • ALIF L4/L5 10-6-09 contemplating PLIF for same area due to non-fusion
  • L4-S1 360 degree fusion is what I had done. Even though it was a hard surgery, I'm glad my NS went ahead and did them at the same time.
  • ACDF 2008 and 2009, pending revision + a level...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • For the cervical spine. I would say the most popular surgery is going to be ACDF. While I have had a uncommon route of surgeries, I believe for the most part on the cervical spine it will be ACDF, as there just isn't much room to work. Now the kicker in that while the terminology is the same what they do might be a little bit different, for example being fused on the facets. Even what they do the surgery for itself, maybe different, the surgery tittle is the same.
  • who worked in the operating room for 17 years, I did anesthesia for discectomies more than any other spinal surgeries. As far as fusions, I saw more PLIF's.

My own is a PLIF L4-5, and three endocsopic caudal approach lysis of adhesions at L4,L5,S1.

• Posterolateral Gutter Fusion at L3-L4-L5-S1 with hardware and removal of all disc material and laminectomy at all 4 vertebrae and interbody vertebral spacer implant at L5-S1, Radio-frequency Ablation done on all Lumbar facet joints. Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusion with hardware at C4-C5-C6-C7, Laminectomy at all 4 vertebrae.

I thought the move Broke Back Mountain was going to be about some cowboys with bad backs! Boy, Was I wrong!
  • Like most people I was really reluctant to have back surgery because of all the horror stories you hear but the pain in my legs from compressed nerves and increasing weakness made the decision for me when I could barely walk anymore.

I had been seeing a NS for two years and doing conservative treatments and when I decided to do the surgical route and he said FUSION I almost cried in his office. A fusion hadn't even been on my radar - I was definitely thinking something less invasive.

During the discussion, he told me that he has found that people who have laminectomies and diskectomies for problems like mine have more problems down the road because of scar tissue and arthritis and that he found the fusion to be the best permanent fix as he can create enough space for the nerve roots that they don't become compressed again.

I went for a second opinion and that doctor agreed that this was my best option for a permanent fix so I had the surgery - spent the next month wondering why I did such a thing - and now at 10 weeks post-op I am starting to feel like I will recover my ability to walk without pain.

• TLIF where they go in the back. Pretty much same as a PLIF just a different angle to get the disc out. Mine was open alot of TLIF are minimally invasive but they couldn't do that with me.
  • I'm with flower. Seems like an easy choice. It's the first level of surgery done. It's either that or breast augmentation... But I don't think the later counts as spinal... LOL
  • 2006 C5/6, C6/7, C7/T1 ACDF
    2008 C5/6 Vertebrectomy, C6/7 Corpectomy, C5-T1 revision to prior fusion, front and back, removal of spinous process, laminectomies. "Gently turned". Surgeon said he "flips" pancakes, and he prefers to say he gently turns his patients over rather than flipping them.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!