Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Would Someone PLEASE Answer me?

cbergensccbergens Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I've been trying to get an answer to my question and as usual I get no responses. I left this site because no one would anser my questions.
Is anyone getting releif from BURNING type pain from a SCS? Also does it effectively help your back also?
Thank you.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    Sorry that someone - "In the know" has not yet responded to you (as of yet). I fortunately (or unfortunately) have yet to gone down the SCS route for pain management as of yet, so I can't answer your ??

I do know that we have many participants on the forum who are using SCS effectively and should be able to comment on your question.

So I guess I can't answer you question but didn't want you to think that nobody cared. Please by patient and I'm sure that someone with SCS experience will respond in time.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems and hope only the best relief and support for you.

Please try to have a good day!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• but I wanted to give you a response.
    As Metalneck says, there are people on here that have SCS fitted, and hopefully they will find your post and give their experiences.

At least one of them has just had surgery, so she will be unable to get on here for at least a week.

As there are far fewer patients with SCS in comparision to some of the more common problems, you might have to be patient while you wait for them to come along. :-)

Hope that you get some answers.

• Sometimes it takes more than 24 hours for a person with symptom set you've asked about to come along.

I have burning, cramping, and aching nerve pain, with the occasional dash of stabbing and shocking thrown in for good measure. It's from a combination of nerve damage and post-surgical scar tissue encasing my nerve roots across multiple levels. My pain pattern is low back, bilateral hip, leg and foot pain.

My SCS was placed almost 3 years ago and until a few months ago, when I damaged my system, it controlled my pain very well with a minimal amount of medication required to support it.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    People respond to questions that they can offer some input for. Many times that could take a while for another member to see what is being asked and then responding.

If anything, I believe this member community does a great job in responding to member questions.

Patience is key, remember we have over 11,000 International members on this site. There are so many posts that others can respond to and those they just can not. Its nothing personal, just sheer mechanics.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Another thought? Edit the title of your thread to specify "SCS" and add "can someone please answer this?" Or something to that effect. I saw your post because I like the "recent posts" when I log on. The title you have now puts people on the defensive. I hope you have answers soon.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes I get some relief from the burning pain in my legs. Its more effective on what I call the surface type stinging pain rather than the deep stuff in my legs. My stimulator is not placed to provide any relief for my back. I have limited discomfort in my back and the pain medications I take on a daily basis help with the stuff the stimulator can't handle.

Hope that helps.

• Unfortunately the SCS trial did not work out for me. For some unknown reason I could not feel the signal below my waist area where I really needed it. I have left sided lower back, buttock, hip, and leg problems. The Rep figures the scar tissue from my surgery to initially fix all these problems was the culprit. The Dr even tried to move it around to see if that would make a difference. It was a no go. I take Toprimate for the burning that goes down my leg. It was a burning cramping pain. Since being on this med it has really calmed it down. Only in my leg though. But that is huge for me. I use my TENS at home but have found that it irritates my nerve now more than calming them down. I use alot of ice. I am sorry that you are having problems with the SCS. Some people have alot of relief with them. I wish I could have been one of them.
  • I had my permanent SCS implanted on Feb 21 and it covers my lower back pain and the parathesis in my legs. I have five initial programs and have found two that I like a lot. One covers the back and both legs the other just my legs (awesome for sleeping). I don't experience any burning sensations though.

Is the burning coming from the IPG or from the leads themselves? I would recommend contacting your rep for either. If it's from the IPG, you could have an issue such as the integrity of the case being compromised. Or if from the leads, maybe they have moved. If you have multiple programs, see if the burning changes when you change programs.

Hope that helps,
  • I have 3 leads at T8 - 4:8:4 - with a Medtronic Restore Ultra battery in my right hip for low back, hip, and thigh nerve pain that yes, does burn and sting. It's worked wonders for me over the last 14 months. I would rather chew my right arm off than give it up.
  • I had my SCS trial, it totally helped the burning pain that I have down my legs and into my feet. I'm scheduled for surgery on May 11 for the permanent SCS placement. I am praying that I get as much or more relief than I did with the trial.
  • I was implanted with an SCS about 9 years ago, so I can understand your pain and frustration.

Is the pain at the generator site, or the leads? If it's at the generator site, where is it implanted?

I had the generator replaced after four years with a newer rechargeable/smaller version. The other "up-side" was more intuitive programming. Unfortunately for me, I had developed pocket pain as well as had a major decrease in pain suppression, and had it removed.

If your pain is at the lead site, as that can either be scar tissue moving the lead (if it's a subq lead) and could be pressing on a nerve. It could also very well be from over stimulation. I had a pain in my side that developed from overestimation. The stim just happened to fire off a nerve that was nowhere near my lower back.

Before removing the SCS unit, if that's the path you take, I suggest you talk with your pain doc regarding nerve ablation. It might be the fix (possibly short or long term) that you need. The process sounds a bit scary, but it's actually really easy. Just make sure to ask for Versed.

Best of luck

• I get alot of relief from my SCS! It helps my low back pain, tail bone pain and pain - burning, aching, jolting, numb pain in my legs and feet. It took some time with the tech - going back and back to fine tune it and I run four programs at once to get that relief. Mine is Medtronics. Sorry I don't check this site all the time, so I didn't see this post until tonight. Happy Easter. God Bless.
  • I'm thrilled to find you. As I read your symptoms I felt as if I had written them. I'm 55 years old and recently disagnosed with TCS. I've experienced pain in my tailbone, legs and feet for more than two years. My surgery was scheduled for last week but was postponed so the doctor could get more information. He's an experienced surgeon but has not done a TC release before. Please talk to me as I'm not looking at other options--

BTW--I agree that life is an adventure with OUR FAITHFUL GOD!
    It's because of Him that I am
  • I've had the SCS since 6/1/11 and it has relieved the burning pain sensation that I was getting in buttock and down leg. I still have the pain/discomfort in my lower back - but I WAS told that the unit would most probably address the leg pain and not so much the actual back pain. All in all, I'm pleased with the results so far!

• Welcome to Spine Health.

A SCS is a Spinal Cord Stimulator which is a device that is implanted to help with pain.

I suggest that you start a new thread entitled 'Adult Tethered Cord' and then you may get some answers from others in your situation.

PS I am too!