Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cortisone Facet Injection for back

DeltabreezeDDeltabreeze Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Lower Back Pain

I had bilateral facet injections done on the 16th of this month. Is it normal to have your upper back still sore? It seems like every time I lean back, it feels like its still bruised. Last night it felt like my pain was trying to return but over all I still feel better than when I first went in so was just wondering how long do these cortisone injections last in general?

• My experience with injections is that you hurt for awhile after and they say that is normal. For me the last injection I had made me feel a little better for the first week and I was right back in the same pain which they also say is not uncommon.

I would contact your doctor anyway so they know what your going through. The more info you give the dr the better,
  • Many Drs use the injections to not only to help you but also as a diagnostic tool. I had bilateral, bilevel foraminal injections a couple of times at L4/L5 and L5/S1. The pain didn't subside for about a week and then it lasted 4 months. My OS says this is good because we know where the pain is coming from and we can monitor progression. If the shots last less and less time it may be time to look at surgical alternatives.
    Currently recovering from knee replacement and waiting for my next injection which had to be put off to allow for the knee surgery. My lower back is angry at me right now.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • From what I've been told,steroids should not be injected oftener than every 4-6 months, the interval depending on the doctor. One PM doctor I went to would only do that every six months, and another every four months.
  • the reason they shouldn't be done oftener is that steroids can cause serious side effects, and at the recommended frequency the chances of that are minimal.
  • Thank you all who replied. At least its good to know that what I am feeling is somewhat normal. It feels somewhat better today but still a tad on the sore side. I go back and see my doctor on the 3rd so we will be discussing this issue along with what might be return of pain. At least even though I am starting to get pain again, I'm hopeful that this too will subside after awhile.
  • I had some that lasted only days because my physical therapist over worked me. I felt like they bought me time. Not really a solution but I also had 2 different doctors do them and that can be a huge difference. Some guys go to a weekend training and orders do fellowships to learn the technique. Something to think about. Use for emergency.
This discussion has been closed.