Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone else had this?????? Worried

ScotslassSScotslass Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had lumbar discectomy, decompression and coflex implant 4 weeks ago

There was always one bit at the base of my wound which did not seem to heal and now had become very sore swollen and has "greenish" colour - sorry to be graphic

Did have clear fluid coming out of it then it scabbed over and now this - is very very sore and red all round

Consultant has taken blood urine and swabs today and have started antibiotics

I did think if u are going to have an infection it would have been sooner after the op?

Does anyone else have this experience and what was it??

• I am not a doctor, so can only speak from my experiences. To me, it does sound like you have an incision infection.

I had a similar experience.
    I had a lumbar fusion with decompression.
    At 10 days, I had my staples out and the surgeon said they did need to come out. They were getting a bit swollen and red around them. At that point, with the dressing off, my husband saw my incision for the first time. He was concerned that the top couple of inches of the incision was not closed properly, and had a step in it, where one side of the incision had slipped under the other. He asked the surgeon if it would heal properly and the surgeon said it would take some time, but yes it would heal.

At about 3 or 4 weeks, I saw the surgeon again, and he said that I now had an infection. He put me on antibiotics (oral) and took a swab. I had a district nurse call every other day to have the wound cleaned and the dressing changed.

A week later, he called to say that the results were back from the swab test, and he wanted to have a look at the wound to make sure that the antibiotics were working, or he would need to change them.
    They had started to deal with the infection so he let me continue the same antibiotics. I did have some over granulation tissue forming so he told the nurse to cauterise it with silver nitrate.
    Eventually, at 6 or 7 weeks, my incision was at a stage when I could take the dressing off.

I am 11 months after surgery now, and my scar is looking pretty good. At the top where the infection was, is wider than the rest of the scar, but it did deal together and the infection was dealt with.

I hope that my story will reassure you. It is good that you are now on antibiotics and that the consultant is testing to see what bacteria is involved.

Interesting that you had a Coflex fitted. They are quite new. I did consult with the first surgeon in the UK to fit one. I wonder if you have the same surgeon. (??) Where are you located?

• Hi

I am in Brighton and at first the ins were not going to cover as was a "trial" thing but then said yes they will but no more work on lumbar spine as is a chronic condition. I am aware of it in there but felt the same with the hip replacement when it was first done

He said (consultant) that it would prevent future problems due to DDD. He said another patient had the op without coflex and he was back in the future for more - not that that will be the case with you of course!!

In fact his sec has just called and blood all ok, urine not back and culture not back but keep taking antibiotics so looks like superficial which is good