Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low Pain Moments

sassy411ssassy411 Posts: 199
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Chronic Pain
Why is it we can have a few hours when the pain calms down for awhile, in my case it will drop to a 5 1/2-6 now & then (usually while my meds are working) & then flare right back up.

Instead of enjoying the low pain (there are no pain free hours for me), I find myself beating myself up for being such a baby the rest of the time. See, this isn't so bad! Suck it up! Other people have it way worse.

Alternate that with fear of the pain surge that always follows after I work for a few hours or run a few errands.

I just carried in a case of water while DH was out. Why? Why do I do that?

• lol-because we can. I know for me, so often I can't do things and when I can it's almost as if I have to prove to myself that I am still capable. I spend some time with guilt and other emotions too, and I think that is human nature. The other day on my way to the Drs office I was having a really good day (2 or 3) almost unheard of. My BF started to say something pertaining to pain and I almost said something, but I kept that inward and to myself because it was such a great, wonderful, fabulous feeling that I didn't want to speak it out loud, for fear it would evaporate, and plus I selfishly wanted it all for myself. Sometimes you just have to reach for that biggest piece of chicken. Enjoy the good times in the best way you can.
  • You're learning. You are realizing that you need to appreciate those times more often, so perhaps you will start to do it. Case of water? NOoooooo! Don't do that. Way too heavy.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Sassy,

Like was already said, "you're learning"...! It use to be (err...no, I still do it damn it!!!) on a lower pain day, I would play "chore catch up", or "activity with hubby now" etc. Oh, boy, did I pay for that! I am getting better over time 'picking' what I will and won't do when I'm having "a good day", but I like many, still overdue here and there.

It is part of the "ex normal" mode. We might see a good day as a return to what we were or maybe, get it while I can? Don't beat yourself up Sassy, just learn as you go. You should find a happy medium eventually.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • yeah sometimes those days few and far between when the pain level drops i think "maybe im healing and this will all be over soon". Sometimes i will even get a good week and then im like alright time to start the medication taper! Lets go walking on the beach all day, hey lets run around with my dog, let me carry that for you, no problem! Then.......BAMMM!!! With that return of pain, comes the helpless depressed feeling we all know to well. Must keep going, must not give up hope!
  • The slightest ebbing of pain for just a few hours seems to have us all tearing around trying to get everything imaginable done before the pain whacks us again.

It sounds as if none of us just relax & enjoy it.

What drives us?
  • What drives us?

That age old need to feel useful.
    How boring is that?
    Must be a better answer?

• "What drives us?"

Our loves, our family and friends, our hobbies, our careers, goals? Our will to live? Could be interesting... :?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Robin has hit it on the head for me (everyone else's comments were so true as well). I think that when I have a relatively good pain day I try to do the kinds of things I did before I became disabled just to prove to myself that I'm not as bad as I feel I am. Does that make sense? For instance, I am now in a wheelchair and can't walk without crutches (and then for only a few steps)but if my pain is around a 4 or 5 I will go and pick up the rather large laundry basket, balance it on my lap and wheel it & myself into the laundry room and do a days worth of laundry: sorting, washing, drying, folding and putting away. When I pick up that heavy basket I certainly feel the pain, but it also gives me a sense of accomplishment to see that I CAN do some of the old, pre-disability chores.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    One thing is we want to hang on to what we once were. Is there a little bit left?
    And wouldn't it be nice if we could be that person? Even for a short while? Even though we've learned that we'll have to pay! What joy would it be if we could sneak a little something done and get away with it?
    It's probably not going to happen. But to try, shows we still have that zest for life.............or are we just slow learners! =))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I find myself very angry at the pain so when it eases up a bit I just want to forget it was ever bad enough to interfere with my life and act as if it never existed. I fool myself into thinking I can 'convince' the pain away - if I just pretend it doesn't hurt then it won't hurt. Then when it does hurt I get mad and keep going out of stubbornness. Unfortunately I had one of those days yesterday, did way too much, and today I'm paying for it. I've been up for hours but couldn't sit in a chair long enough to have breakfast (prepared for me by my SO's lovely daughter). I've taken my meds and now I"m back in bed wondering what I can do to make today a decent day. I just want my life back and accepting that I can't have it is like giving up hope - and if we have no hope what have we got?
  • ...we begin to think, on those low pain days, that it's the beginning of the end: of our pain becoming less and less in the near future. Maybe we do things on that day because we're testing ourselves to see if we can do them and not have residual pain.

All of our hopes are to have our pain lessen over the years, getting it under control, especially those that have already had surgery. I know that for me, I'm able to do more and more and it seems the more I do sometimes the better I feel physically.

Sure, I still have pain spikes, some pretty bad and I work through them, take a pain med, and move on. But it could be that what drives at least some of us is the hope that this low pain day is the first of many to come.

Just my 2 cents.
  • I'm still in the mode of making big plans to do things, especially travel that will boost my career, because by then, I'll be much better, right?

Never mind that I'm going downhill so fast that med changes can't even keep up with it.

Yes, by June, I'll be able to get to that conference & do some serious networking, a cross country flight will be ok, I'll manage wending my way through major aiports with my carry on.

Just a few more weeks & I'll be all better.

Yes, I'm still in denial. Can I stay here just a little longer, please?
  • That's always our hope, that we'll get better. I think it rarely happens, that very few of us will ever be pain-free and able to do many of the things we used to, but we still hope, or at least I do. But for so many, it's a momentary joy of less pain and then it comes back with a vengeance.

I know that the problems above my cervical fusion are going to be something I'll have to deal with down the road. Right now, it's feeling better I think because of the continued meds and added anti-inflammatory, but it's only going to get worse and again, I realize that and I'll have to deal with it one day. But for now, I'm riding a wave until it comes crashing into the wall - I'll deal with it then.

I'm sorry you're going downhill so fast - that's the nightmare. I'm thinking that you're being facecious about your future plans, but if not then I admire your spirit.

We all fight the good fight, don't we? What else can you do, there are few alternatives.
  • I'm still in the mode of thinking, ok, next week when I'm feeling better, I'll go do . . .

I tolerated back & hip pain for decades & it's only the past few months that it has really ramped itself up to unmanageable.

I do think I'm still in a bit of denial.
  • I'm wavering between denial and hopelessness. I want to make plans for the future 'when I'm better' but I can't imagine when that will be. I also have had back pain and other joint/muscle pain for many years but only since last summer is my life on hold because of it. I always dealt with it and kept going, and I was able to do that... now I can't. I did too much Saturday and suffered terribly all day Sunday for it; thought today would be better but its not. I'm still paying for Saturday. All I did was cook a turkey dinner and watch my grandchildren for a couple hours (3yrs and 18m). I can't just stop living but at what cost?
  • Sassy-

I can really identify with your first post. Just yesterday I decided to clean our pantry and accidentally broke a jam jar. As I was kneeling on the floor trying to sweep it up I noticed my husband on the couch watching me. He only offered to help after it was all but completely picked up. This really ticked me off and I started angrily cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen. By the time I was done I was even more angry instead of relieved...and my back and legs were on fire. The whole time I felt like I had to prove my husband wrong...to say "No! I don't need your help!" But WTF was I thinking?

So yeah, what the hell is wrong with me? with us? No dang idea. All I know is the pain makes me nuts and so angry at times that I feel I lack the ability to make sound judgements.

Thankfully I don't flip out very often...but I'd like to not EVER lose it in the first place. I guess all we can do is be ever aware of how we're feeling, whether it's anger, guilt or denial about our pain in general...and try to talk to our loved ones about it. I'm sure my husband was totally stumped yesterday (aside from his lazy response to me picking up broken glass...that was a jerk move) and maybe if I just talked to him about what I was feeling he would be better able to identify with me the next time I decided to board the crazy train to looneyville.

BTW, I totally liked your analogy of the biggest piece of chicken...totally :P
This discussion has been closed.