Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello - I'm New Here

TMac208TTMac208 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all,

I'm new to this type of forum. I just had lumbar back surgery (lumbar discectomy) for a herniated disc. On Christmas day I discovered that 3 toes on my left foot were numb. I also had quite severe back pain. Some back pain is not unusual. I've been under a chiropractor's care for years, making weekly appointments for about 6 weeks. Then I would be able to go a 2-3 months before having to go back. I also have 3 bulged discs in my neck and degererative disc disease. I figured I'd have more trouble with my neck and was surprised when the disc blew in my lower back.

Anyway, I saw my chiropractor shortly after the first of the year and she called in an X-Ray. After viewing the results of that, she then requested an MRI for a better look. That's when she saw the extent of the damage. She referred me to a neurosurgeon. Unfortunately, I had not been taking care of my health and had extremely high blook pressure.

Along with the numbness in my toes and the back of my calf, I had extreme pain down my left leg. I would wake up in the middle of the night, paralyzed with pain. During this month before surgery, I was on no pain meds other than Tylenol, which did NOTHING to alleviate the pain.

To make a long story short, I was finally able to have surgery at the end of January. The back pain is gone except for localized pain at the incision sight and a little residual pain from the nerve damage. I am still on temporary disability from work and waiting for an appointment with a physical therapist so I can learn some exercises and other tips to protect the spine and remaining discs. I still have trouble sitting straight up (like at a desk) and driving a car. I can only sit for short periods of time before I have to recline or lie down.

Nice to be here. I hope this forum helps me.

• HI,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many whom have had or are going through the same with lumbar issues. We have many whom have had lumbar discectomy and while some still have issues many are back at work and doing fine.

Hopefully as you heal the residual pain will get better and you will begin feeling better. The physical therapist should help with some of your mobility and get those muscles back moving better.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Welcome to the forum - you will find many others with the same or similar stories that you can get support from as well as great articles and tips to help you!
    Great to hear your back pain is gone post-op and sounds like you are on the right road to recovery! I will tell you going to physical therapy is great. Make sure you as your PT person for tips you can use going forward in your job and home life. I know you had lumbar surgery but you said you have issues with your neck which is what I have and had recent surgery for.. ask your PT person to give you some tips you could use for your neck so your bulging disks do not get worse..
    Take care and well wishes to your for a smooth recovery! Keep us posted on how you are doing!
  • Welcome to spine health and welcome to the lumbar club.
    There is lots of great information here, so look around and keep in touch.
    Glad to hear that you are doing better since your surgery!

• Hello and welcome.
    You have found a wonderful site for support and information.
    If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. Also, do no hesitate to add your imput to any question asked if you believe it will be of value.
    Believe me when I say that all of us here need all the support we can get. We have all been through, or are going through, some very tough times here.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Hi TMac208,

Welcome you here.

Sure you will have great time with all of us.