Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When do we say

Hiya all, Just wanted to open a discussion on...When do we say enough is enough! I mean, having surgery or injections, and other treatments, medications this sort of thing! I mean you get some surgeons who cant wait to cut you open , then others who think your a problem and put you to the bottom of the pile. Then there are some especialy in england (because of the benefit system) who think you are swinging the lead! What i have found with all the doctors i have seen over the years is that its a fight to get the tests that we need to prove that we do have the pain we have. I could go on..but ive been lying here thinking about what i have gone through over the years( even though now i do have my doctors support) and wondered about others, and your experiences. When do we say enough treatment, the more they do the worse it feels?

Angie xx

• I'm at the point where enough is enough...for now. I've had a very successful TLIF, although still have pain flares now and then, but that's to be espected as I continue to heal and live my life as normally as possible.

I also consider my ACDF in 2008 a success, but have problems above my fusion at C2/3 anc C3/4. That's the worst problem now and my doc wants to do injections, but I've told him "no, not now", with his blessing. So we're managing with meds and patches.

I'm living as normal of a life as I can right now, working, doing household chores on good days, having days of rest when I can, and have put myself in a holding pattern healthwise. I also plan on golfing this spring and summer as my neck allows and enjoying the company of friends and family.

The problem is that if the injections don't work, the next step is a cervical posterior surgery and my surgeon and I agree that I'll need to be on my death bed before we'll even think about it.

So, for me, enough is enough right now. I'm done, fried, finished. I'll continue with my current treatment, but no more for at least a year. I can do my new job, have an opportunity to help my department come into the 22nd century and I'm excited about the opportunities that I have now. I won't compromise anything else in my life now and will deal with any further problems if and when they present themselves to the point of not being able to function.

Oddly enough, getting up every day and working has actually helped my pain to some degree - I don't know if it's because I now have more self-worth, because I'm moving around more on a regular basis, or what, but like I said, I'm in a holding pattern and plan to stay there for the forseeable future.

I know some don't have that luxury, they need help now, but I'm only telling you my situation. There does come a time when enough is enough and it's time to live life the best we can while thanking our doctors for continuing to keep their eyes on us and helping us with whatever non-invasive tricks they have in their bag.

• I know what you mean when is enough enough? I followed conservative measures for my back and leg pain like the usual facet, SI, hip injections and epidurals the normal amount the first two years then went to the abnormal amount of 6 epidurals last year along with the usual facet,SI and hip injections and I'm done with all that!

I don't like all the steroids they use and done with them as they can cause bone issues and the injections provided no long term relief so enough is enough injections for me after 3 years. I've had nerve compression shown on my EMG and they didn't do a discogram because my herniated disc has healed but I still have numbness in my leg and nerve compression at L4-5 and to me they didn't do enough tests. I even tried to get another MRI Doc says no another EMG Doc says no as I couldn't bear the first one.

So I'm done and here I stay with pain meds and disability. I will never go for any more injections unless they're diagnostic for a RFA(radio frequency ablation) which I have not been offered. It gets a little old even though it's been 3 years I've been disabled and can't work. Of course this is my situation and doesn't necessarily fit everyone as you should try all conservative measures that your Dr. offers. But I'm done fighting for tests for now. You take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • {its tony AKA STRAKER as was now backache 99} i was faced with that question a few months ago when at my old hospital in salford told me that enough was enough and i should forget any more surgery and just live out the rest of my life on pain killers !!!.god i am only 44 ..so i went looking for yet another opinion and found one in warrington and the consultant is one of three in the uk that can do specialized spinal reconstruction ..i could say enough right now ..but the survival bit in all off us keeps saying you must give it a shot ..so to answer you question enough is only enough when ALL other possibilities have been exhausted
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • That's a decision for you to make. It's one of our personal freedoms, to make choices. And only you knows how you feel and if you want to do any more.
  • WoW! we all go through so much in different ways! At the moment i feel the more messing the doctors do the longer it takes to heal, I get fed up with the pain and some days i am so grumpy, due to the pain and do not know what to do with myself! I used to have good days and bad days , but now i get bad days and worse days.. and feel guilty being like this. i usually cope quite well with this, but lately i stress being like this, because i can not do things i used to. Im 43 and used to have a good life, but i feel stuck in a rut, due to this disability. Each day i do exercises, stretches, because like we say moving around does sometimes reduce the pain.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    enough of enough is up to you.

I have really never said enough to all sorts of treatments. I guess thats mainly because I do get relief from my pain.

It can be very frustrating, especially when you been doing this for a while and the bottom line, you still have a good deal of pain.

I am in total favor regarding the various diagnostic
    tests that they can run to help isolate the problem.

I've had some recent flare ups, most of them coming as post-problems after my two shoulders in 2010.
    My Pain Management doctor wants me to go for another lower back MRI. This is really for establishing a base line and to see what has changed from my previous MRI. We both unless there is something major, I will do all the other things to keep moving ahead

Right now, I have had enough when it comes to more spinal surgeries. After all the years and spinal surgeries, I am at a point where additional surgery probably wont buy me anything.

I say probably because I never will know whats down the road for me.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I remeber saying that exact same thing a couple of years ago. Enough is enough no more! I was only 49yrs young when I had my first surgery. Worked 30 fun long yrars in nursing,loved it! Thought I would be back after my back was fixed. Boy! what a shock when the surgeon said after one of my follow visits, which he had been saying all a long.NO!reputition(so much for spelling) bending, twisting and no lifting over 25 pounds. I Finely ask for how long? He relpied for the rest of your life.He said it so calmly. Thank GOD my hubby was there! I didn't hear anything after that! OK! I finely get it,I wore my back out! Not just my lower back, all of my back! The surgeon told my hubby if I tried to go back, I could very well end up in a wheel chair! OK! OK! ENOUGH all ready! L4 is bad too! Well why didn,t he fix that one too while he was in there!!!!!He did such a good job! Oh well life goes on! I had a fullfilling career! Boy was that hard to let go of! Took me a long time to let go of that,and a lot of psych(oh! there goes my spelling) visits too! Just when I think I have a handle on all of it, my darn hip starts to hurt! When is enough enought I haven't a clue! Oh well thanks for the ear.
  • Hiya, A lot of people who went into nursing years ago, wasnt told not to lift, handle or carry, you got on with the job, but today there is manual handling, which is a good thing. Like you i loved my job too, and cried for days, as you say letting go is the hardest thing. My surgeon and pain management team have said the same to me, as what you was told. I never ever thought that having back issues could be so difficult, and taking a cocktail of medication day after day, having a back pain takes control of my life. Anytime you want to vent just feel free to do so.

Angie xx