Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this a norm?

atonalaatonal Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Pain Medications
Hello everyone - my name is Brian and I am new to this forum. I want to ask a question but ofc I have a story before I ask :)

I have both cervical and lumbar issues...not so good most of the time!! I also have degenerative bone disease in my ankle and will be getting that fused soon. My neck has 2 herniated disks and stonosis in 3 vertebrate but I still have most of my strength but the pain is a huge issue. My lower back has Parr's with the L5 being slightly moved forward, I also have some disk problems in 3 vertebrae there as well. Pain is an issue as well.

My family doctor has said he thinks I may have Fybromyalgia as well and prescribed Cymbalta for that but mornings are terrible most days for an hour or so.

My pain management doctor, which I have been seeing since Dec. 2010 has been trying different things to try and get my pain under control. He first prescribed Hydrocodone/apap 5mg. They didn't do any thing. He then went to the 10mg which still didn't do anything at all until I took 30mg at one time, which took alot of the constant pain away. He told me I was OD by taking 30mg and switched me to MS Contin 15mg extended. 2x a day. That didn't do anything so he also prescribed MS IR 15mg and said take 1 or 2 for "breakthrough" pain and increased the MS ER to 2 in the morning and 1 still at night. I did this for about 2 weeks and had a follow up but it appears that I am allergic to morphine so he discontinued that and went back to the Hydrocodone 10mg 3 to 4 times a day.

At last the question :)

I don't understand why he went back to the way (Hydrocodone 10mg) that did not work for me a month ago and made a follow up appointment a month away telling me to "hang in there".... So is this a normal practice for Pain Management doctors to treat a patient that apparently has a high tolerance to medication? I'm just saying -- if it didn't work a month ago why would it do so now?

Well thanks for taking the time to read my "publication" :)
Hope everyone feels well.

• I'm not sure why your Dr. would put you back on Hydrocodone unless he thought any other morphine like drugs may cause an allergy like the Morphine did. Are you doing other treatments like injections, Physiotherapy including TENs,exercise, acupuncture, massage and the use of ice and heat for your pain?

I also take other meds like anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants for lower back pain and nerve pain in my leg. Are you taking other meds like that? I know it takes awhile for your Pain Management Dr. to get familiar with you and what will alleviate your pain and it's best to maybe keep a pain journal what makes your pain worse? and what relieves it?

In my case my Dr. had me on MS Contin then moved me to Oxycontin and I do have an allergy to codeine so had to be watched closely at first with med changes but I had to go back to my Dr. frequently at first and let them know the pain med wears off after 4-5 hours and my pain level was through the roof and can't sleep, can't walk etc. Open communication is the only way the Dr. will help you with your medications and treatment. I hope you find relief and please don't take more than the recommended amount at once. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was doing PT but it really didn't do anything for me. I also tried TENS -- does good as long as I have it on but the pain comes back rather fast after I stop a session. :(

I have been given 3 different muscle relaxers but so far they haven't done anything as well. The journal idea is great and I started one several weeks ago. :) thx

I have only been going to this doc since December so he really doesn't know me yet, I have only seen him twice and his nurse practitioner has seen me three times. Next visit is with the doc so I hope we can come to a better plan and I am sure we will.

Thx again for your comment and encouragement as well.

cya Brian