Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

16 weeks PLIF and still not where I want to be....

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I posted! I'm 16 weeks post PLIF revision..Still get allot of pain if I over do it and when I say over do it I mean the basics day to day stuff, house work,cooking, shopping ect...

The Dr put me on 2400 mg of Motrin because he believes I had bursitis in my hip.My PT says she feels that my sacrum is unstable..I go for a CT next month..Anyone else out there 16 weeks and still feel not the best..

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10

• Sorry that you are still having trouble after your surgery.What level did you have done,was it l4/l5 (previous 1999 surgery? You are still less thn six months post op, and from what I have read(I haven't had my surgery yet) it can take six months or longer after a lumbar fusion to start to feel better. Have you had physio?
    Wishing you all the best with your recovery,hang in there!
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Karen,

Thank you for your response..Yes it was L4-L5 fusion and yes it was the same in 99!! The surgery in 99 led to major complications...infections, bone infection meningitis ect.

Hate to say but the PLIF is one of the toughest recoveries so far. What is physio?? I saw that word thrown around before on the site..just curious!!

Are you having surgery in the near future? If so I hope you do well

Maria :)
  • I am waiting to have a fusion...l5/s1 possibly l4/l5 too...will find out next week. Thanks for the well wishes.
    Wow, it looks like you have been through a lot at that level. You had a fusion in 09 and then did they go in and redo it in 2010? Did you have physiotherapy at all after your previous surgeries? Have you been able to get around and do a lot of walking?
    I truly wish the best for you, you have been through so much in the past with your lower back, judging from your signature line. Fingers crossed and positive vibes sent your way that you fuse well and have more pain relief.
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • And I am still walking only in the water because of the pain that I get walking on hard surfaces - thanks for sharing that you don't feel great yet either! I just read about someone going back to work without restrictions at 3 months and I think to myself there is NO way that I can do that and I sure hope the Doc doesn't think I can either! Don't get me wrong - I have improved since the surgery but I sure hope that I KEEP improving because if this is the end result - I will regret this surgery forever.
  • Hello Patti,

I find it hard for people to go back to work in 3 months with NO restrictions and with NO pain..This is my 2nd Fusion and I know from experience it's just a day by day process.

Please don't get discourage..I know it's hard. I'm almost 17 weeks out..I still have pain NOT all day late afternoon/evening..So it does get better :)

And tiredness is still an issue. I know WE can make it!!! :)