Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Car accident after ALIF

HopeHHope Posts: 1
I am looking for some support and advise. I am 3 months post ALIF. Was doing REALLY well, I was down to needing pain meds 1-2 X per day and had resumed working my full time job that requires me to sit in front of a computer for 90% of my day. I was rear-ended while sitting still at a stop light the other driver was going approx 35-40 mph. I was not sitting back in my seat at the time of impact, slightly leaning forward. Since then I have had terrible pain into my cocyx, pressure and pain at my fusion site. The pain to my cocyx seems to be getting some relief from PT, however no change at the fusion site. I was told my SI joint was out of allingment. However able to be put back into allingment. I have had an x-ray and CT Scan both look OK. By that I mean the spacer and cage are where they were implanted. I am going on being out off work no week three. The only answer I get is likely acceleration/deceleration injury (whiplash)the pain is likely muscular. However the pain at the fusion site does not favor one side or the other, it remains central over the fusion. And pressure, feels like something could "pop" when sitting. I have done muscle relaxers, however the combination of increased pain meds and muscle relaxers was making me sick. And given only 3 months post op anti-inflammatoy medication are not an option. I am taking Percocet every 4 hours again. Scared and frustrated, anyone else encounter something like this?

• I had an accident several months after my disk surgery (C5-C7) and was hit on the passenger side of my vehicle by a car running a red light. Thankfully there was no harm done to my neck, but we got it checked out at the ER, just in case. I happened to see my neurosurgeon the following week and she checked the xrays and the final diagnosis was that I was very lucky that it was head on or from the rear. Such a scary thing to have happen, though.
    I'm no help for you, I'm afraid, but wanted to let you know that I do hope that you are going to be ok and this pain will subside soon.
  • my wife drove into a car last week but due to modern car safety features like seat belt pretensioner and anti whip lash head restraints and air bags etc she and the man she hit are fine.the cars are a mess but you can replace a car ..as you know replacing your back is a little harder!! .if the vehicle that i was using in the 1990s has modern safety equipment of the 2000s i would have been fine ...its amazing just how safe today's cars are .but back to the original question .i am sorry that your back is giving you hell and have you had it seen by a consultant since the shunt? because as you know the ALIF is a big complex operation and you don't want anything to have come loose .i hope that you are OK .take care
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I can offer no advice, but I can offer my support.It sounds like we had the same things happen to us. I know how frustrating it is to be in pain, yet no one knows exactly what the problem is.

All I can say is that I wish you a speedy recovery, and I'm here for you.