Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exhaustion....fusing is hard work!

tracibennttracibenn Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have never been so chronically exhausted in my life as I have been in the last 4 weeks. The first two weeks I can understand...even the third week. I'm going on post op week 4 and I still struggle daily with exhaustion!!! I have a spurt of energy usually between 3-5pm, but before and after that I'm nearly down for the count. Is this considered normal? I had a 2 week postop check up and dont go back till the end of April, and I really don't want to call and ask the dr if this is normal. Hopefully you will help. Maybe I should call my family doc and ask him? Could it be something outta whack?

Thanks for listening!!!

• Go ahead and call your doc, but you have every right to be tired. You have been through a lot, and it is going to take a little time to get back to the old you. #:S

Take care of yourself and don't push it!
  • Aside from the surgery itself which commits your body to a lot of trauma, all the crap they put in you (especially from the Anesthesiologist), kicks our systems, whacks out hormone balance etc. Then add the post op meds. My last fusion, I was down and tired for almost 2 months!!

Of course, all of us are different. So, my favorite reply to add is: "If in doubt, check it out." Give your doctor a call with your concerns - we do pay them the big bucks after all! I hope you're feeling better soon.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • This topic has been discussed frequently - I remember planning for all I was going to do until I could return to work- instead I was extremely fatigued for about 6 weeks. Part of it, is just the trauma to your body itself, some may be from the anesthesia, and some may be from anemia (blood loss). I remember feeling at least 6 weeks before I could read and retain content after my first fusion.
  • You should talk to you doc about this and look for alternatives. He should prescribe you some medicines or else as per your condition so that you feel better. Since its 4th week so you should be feeling well until now. Best Wishes.