Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are there any success stories out there?

npgirl64nnpgirl64 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
H1, I'm new to this message board, but it didn't take me long to find out that it's like so many others out there (a lot of negative people and not a lot of hope for others like me).When one is in pain it is hard to be optimistic and one tends to be cynical and bitter. The fact is that many people who have had good outcomes often forget to come back and contribute to the vast amount of others who are new, and like me, have been told they need surgery. They are too busy living their(hopefully) pain free lives to spend hours daily searching the web for hope and advice. Unfortunately, that leaves newbies like me,reading all the negative posts, comments and advice from the people who have not had good outcomes for various reasons. The fact is this : no one can tell you what kind of outcome you will have. It will be different from others, everyone is unique. It is a decision you must make on your own and you must live with the consequences.

• Hiya Welcome To Spine Health >:D< reading your post i can see how it looks to a newbie. But its not so much negative stories, its just people who do have back problems , have a combination of things going on at once, . Once you have a back problem thats it you have a weak spot. So a lot of us spineys find ways of coping with those day-to-day stuff that we have to do. This can be very tiring, over a space of time. When having to fight pain, have different treatments and take medication on a long term basis, does take its toll. Remember everyone is different and heals at different time spans. Here we do support each other through the tears and tantrums, we have good days and bad days, but again this also depends on your condition! So whats your story? Hope to speak soon

Angie xx
  • There are a lot of success stories here, and there is a lot of information, and a lot of people willing to offer hope and support.

Welcome to the forum. :H It is a great forum. There are many positive supportive people here. I love this forum and I am so glad that I joined.

There are also those that did not have successful surgeries, but most are supportive and willing to help and encourage newbies. Also, I think everyone tries to provide positive information for newbies.

Unfortunately, those with not so successful outcomes still need room to vent, and still get depressed and still sometimes sound negative. :( People who have suffered chronic pain for a long time need a place to seek support, and a right to be depressed and angry.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Jeauxbert or haglandc or Administrators tamtam, dave or DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team Neck of Steel or Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    When anyone first joins this site, one of the things that they quickly notice is how many people have problems before/after surgery, problems dealing with their doctors/pharmacists, family members, and more.

Its really not that uncommon. For many, its the first time they are being hit with spinal problems and potential surgery. That alone can be very scary and leave you a bundle of nerves.

But as you stay around here for a while, you will find many many success stories. You can search just using the keyword SUCCESS and you will find dozens of posts.

Another thing to keep in mind, members stay on Spine-Health while they are having problems. For many of them, once they recover and are back on their feet, they tend to drift away from this site. That is good, because now they can move on. So you may not get the chance to read about their success stories.

Its not that these people forget or do not want to come back to help, but they have their own lives to live.

There are always scores of members here who are willing to help when they can.

Speaking about help, you can help us all out by giving some details regarding your situation. The more we know about your spinal situation, diagnostic tests done, treatments, medication lists and doctors action plans, the better we can comment on something you post.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • 1st: We should assume you need back surgery or you wouldn't be on this site. You didn't say. In defense of we all here with issues, it is because we need to know we're not alone with these issues. Frequently one or two individuals will reply specifically to the others' similar problem. Thus solved.

2nd: I found this site because my re known neurosurgeon performed wonderful surgery apparently. He failed to set up in patient physical therapy for once I left the hospital. I wasn't aware there even was PT for post back surgery! In fact my information was so little that I needed new surgery 3 mos. later having moved pieces inside. I was the one who found a PT facility and I am mortified that any doctor would send anyone home with so little knowledge. It's amazing what I know now....!

Don't say we're all negative until you've spent a year in our shoes. I am sure most of us can barely remember what life was like pain free.
  • I'm new as well, but I have to say, my first perception was that there are many supportive people and lots of positive posts here. I guess it's just a matter of what one considers positive. To me, people who live their days in pain but still take time to say someting nice to another person who is hurting or having a rotten day is positive in and of itself.

I hope that you will stay and delve deeper...I am new, but my philosophy is "Just because *I'm* miserable, doesn't mean I have to make everyone around me miserable" :)

Please know you are not alone in wanting to see the positive. Sometimes you have to search it out, though, and that's true everywhere...
  • I had 3 disc replaced 1 year ago in Germany. My neurosurgeon here in the US told me he would do that TLIF surgery on me or 3 level fusion with cages but if I were his own daughter he would not. So I looked to Germany and France. I was so afraid of big back surgery but now so glad I went for it. I used Accupuncture to deal with post surgery nerve pain- distraction. I never thought I'd ever be pain free but Herr I am working out at the gym lifting weights and sweating on the elliptical. PRICELESS in my mind. You can e-mail me if you want kendrakennedy2@aol.com, I talked to a few people before I chose ADR and Germany.
  • :) I feel that my surgery was a success.I had a PLIF to the S1 and L5 with hardware.I don't have all the pain that I used to have and my left leg feels better too and for the most part I can walk without pain too.BUT!!it was a long hard road to travel!!!!and I mean HARD! 3yrs out of surgery and I still have stuff to deal with!I truly wish you the best of blessings in your travels :) warm smiles to you!
  • in the changing rooms in the local swimming pool {no nothing like that!!} i noticed that he had a visible scar down his back ..so we got to talking and he had a fusion over ten years ago {done by a consultant that is local to me an dose not have a good name} but on this occasion the man reported that he has not had any pain since the fusion and he is in full time employment .so you never know.the man was about 40 something he told me that he could hardly walk before the operation
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014