Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heating Pads

OwwieOOwwie Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Alternative Treatments
Okay...I go through heating pads like other folks go through a bag of chips, lol.

I am looking for one that might last a while. Mind you, I don't mind spending a bit, but I am not a rich girl :)

I think I'd top out at 75 bucks or so. Any suggestions?
I prefer ones that strap to me, so I can position it where I need it most.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

• I bought one from "Sunbeam", and it is soft, flexible and comfy. Granted I got mine off of eBay, but they are less than $30 dollars - and work great!

I originally gone mine to help with my Ulnar transposition and recovery. I now use it when my back gets "in its mood" if you will.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Do you know what model it is by any chance? My problem is usually that they go out on me quickly.I have found a few I like at first, but then in a few weeks, or a few months if I'm lucky, they die. But then I use mine EVERY day. Usually for several hours a day *sigh*

The microwave ones are just inconvenient IMO. I feel like I'm standing at the microwave every 30 minutes, lol
  • The best heating pads for back pain are "moist heat" - they cost more & are more high maintenance.
  • Samantha,

It is called "Soft touch" heating pad with deep padded contours. I've had mine for about a year. Zero problems with it. It is flexible, soft and versatile. I got it for my arm originally, so I wrapped my arm in it. With that, I've been able to lean on it (back or neck) without problems with coverage. Well worth the money as they say. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I finally upgraded to a nice heating pad last year. The one I got is a Theratherm and I *love* it. I've had it about a year now and it is still going strong, and it does have a strap (although I personally don't use it).

It turns itself off after 30 minutes, but if you want to use it longer you just turn it back on. It has a thermostat you set, and it only takes a couple minutes to get good and hot. Mine was around $50 on Amazon.

Another popular brand is Thermophore- I think these get a little hotter than the theratherm, but you have to continuously hold down a button to keep it turned on. I did not like that at all because I couldn't imagine holding down a button the entire time I'm on it (like you, I use it for several hours a day normally).

When I did my research those two brands seemed to be the "top of the line" and I think both run around $50-$75 depending on what size you get.
  • They are moist heat and really well made; the inside is fabric, not plastic, but they do get very hot. You can get them with the switch you have to hold down, or you can get them with a timer (I think it stays on 10-15 minutes??). I have two of them at a time, and generally they last several years before they die. Again, they can get VERY hot, so just make sure you aren't falling asleep on them.

I use mine several times a day, every day, and I think they have a pretty good warranty. I usually get them on eBay and they come in various sizes; I get the large one which is about 16 x 20, I think.

• Has several different types.
    I got mine there, they are labeled as Walgreens heating pads, but they are made by Sunbeam.

And they do have one that straps on you with velcroe strips.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

I'm not sure about the super-hot ones...I want to be able to spend some time on it, and aren't the Thermophore (sp?) the ones you are supposed to lay on your stomach to use?
    Can't do that for any real length of time anymore, even on a massage table. :(

The last few I've gotten have actually been from Walgreen's, but they tend to not last for me. It could very well be just that I'm too dang hard on them! I never thought about trying ebay for one, though, and that's a great idea. If I'm going to keep buying, maybe I can get a bulk lot, lol

I definitely don't like the ones with a plastic interior. They tend to bunch up behind me and I am forever trying to straighten them out.
    Layla, I think yours sounds like a happy medium of the "quality" pads.

• But thanks to all for your kind advice! Keep 'em coming if anyone has any other suggestions!
  • Thermophore / Battle Creek
    They get extremely hot and are very heavy. It's the only pad I have found that really works well. You can get them in gigantic sizes. I do not use them for my back pains but for knees and feet.
  • Be CAREFUL when using heat on backs. My neurosurgeon taught me that ICE should be used on chronic spinal pain. It should be used for 20 minutes every 2 hours. He said that heat draws blood to the heated area which causes more swelling to an already swollen area, plus causes more inflammation. ICE reduces inflammation and reduces swelling and numbs the pain.

I tried heat once just cause it sounded better -- and boy did I find out that he was right!! Sure, it felt better at the time, but when I took it off, the pain was TWICE as bad as it had been when I put it ON. So I put ice on it, and he was right - it reduced the pain and it stayed down for quite awhile!! No more heat for me. Hugs, Lee
  • I depended on a heating pad for comfort for a long time and it was always preferable to ice for me. Like you, I've gone through quite a few of them and the best one I had was made by Sunbeam and I bought it on Amazon.com. It finally gave out on me after about 3 years of daily use. Best $40 I've ever spent. I replaced it with a Walgreen's brand that died within a couple of months. Just last night my husband picked me the updated model of the Sunbeam that I liked at Walgreens, but it is not their store brand, but a Sunbeam. I can check the box at home for the model. If I were you, I would search online, though. You could just Google "heating pads" and see if you could find something a little more durable. That's what I was doing after going through several in a short amount of time.
  • Hi; and very good point about the plastic interior.

I never even thought about that, your right the cloth interior last's a lot longer.
    I'll watch for that the next time i need to get a new one.

• I tend to agree with Lee that for general pain in my back I use ice pad. It's actually made of clay. It gets cold, but not ice cold. Reduces swelling and just feels better.

Only I time I use a heat pad is for muscles that are tight or stiffness in my back. I have a heat pad that is made like a belt and can have moisture added to it. That tends to get deeper when your joints feel stiff.
  • i brought a one, it start to smoke and caught fire soon after i turned it on. it was a leading brand. i got mine off amazon, they seemed to have the best range after visiting heaps other shops looking. but i've heard of one that has metal cord? maybe thats a better made one. take care :)