Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 years and today was my first !!

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Chronic Pain
Well I finally got sick and tired of all the meds I have been on for the last 6+ years ... you name it ... I've been on it from Oxycotin to Methodone - Fentynal to Vicodin Percoset to Tramadol and back again and again ... Patches in pills lead to crashes and ills! So I made the decision to finally get away from my sympathetic G.P. and finally find a good P.M. guy.

Well I lucked out and found one about a mile from my house (go figure)On my first visit he spent a good hour + + doing one of the best history and physicals I had in years - he spent more time with me than the last 10 doctors I've seen (you may remember I was in the hospital for pain control a couple of months ago).

At my visit last week ... he did my first ESI ever to my lumbar spine (recently injured and diagnosed in November 2010)got 60% relief.

At my visit today .... he did my neck (i've had facet Injections that did nothing before my massive revision) At this time I have about a 40% reduction of my pain .... dont know how much is ESI and how much is meds ... but I do feel for the first time that there maybe an answer besides more and MORE DRUGS !!!

He did run into a LOT of scare tissue and did a double check under floroscopy that he was in the right place ... for my neck he started just above my fusion C4 and let the steriod run down ... I do feel its effects on the right side more than left but I will give it time.

So far so good. I am hopeful ... but I am still dopeful

Its nice to not have to yell everytime I stand up .... and be able to turn my head more than 5%

Trying real hard to let a streak of sun shine through my clouds.

May g_d bless all of us today, tonight, tomorrow.

Spine-Health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• That's great news!! I'm happy you're finally getting some relief! I've never had any luck with the injections, but I'm sure glad some people do!

Funny isn't it that this guy was just down the road from your house?!!

Please keep us posted as to your progress ~ I'm sure all of us would like to know how you're doing. God bless. Hugs, Lee
  • Hello - I'm so glad you've made it to a good pain clinic. When you can't get pain relief elsewhere, I believe these are the guys to go to.

Just a suggestion, but someone told me when I get my injections to try to be as still as possible for a few days, to let the drug get in. You can't be too still - let the steroids just bathe the area and not get pushed out. It helped improve mine a bit.

I hope things work out with your PM guy - he sounds good. I go to a very good pain clinic, and it makes all the difference - Pain is their thing. My injections Dr at the clinic was great - very professional like yours. And my medication Dr is - well - he listens to me, and adjusts my meds to my needs, so I can make the most of what I have. I am so thankful for my meds PM Dr.
  • I'm happy for you that you finally got some pain relief and it lasts a long time. It's good you never gave up looking although it's taken so long. I hope you're on a roll here. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Great news for you finally! Maybe things are starting to come together after all this time? Fingers crossed and hoping the shots give you a break for a while. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That is wonderful news! Great that you are getting some relief in both your neck and lumbar spine. Fingers crossed for you for long term relief. How wonderful that you have found such a great doctor in your own backyard
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    While the right side of my neck is still feeling a bit better ... the left side is completely unchanged
    ..... I did feel the med get pushed down on the right side and I hoped that it would migrate to the left .... I have alot of scar tissue.

I see him again on Tuesday and we'll just see what he has to say!!

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and comments ....... Things (life) in general right now range from blue to a crazy haze of yellow.

Regards, Whats left of

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• not matter how you spell relief, it's a wonderful thing, isn't it? I hope he helps you get comfortable over a relatively short time.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope you get relief (even a little bit). I'm glad you found a great doctor to help.

Hope things look better for you soon. I know how hard to it to see the bright side sometimes.

Take care,
  • Dave,

Good news finally. The last set of c-spine injections I had they did both sides. Went in the right under flourscopy then into the left with the same. Sometimes they need to do a few to find the sweet spot if you will. But hopefully they last awhile. I as you love my pm doctor(physiatrist), he does my injections and my meds so it is all one place. No jumping around to doctors so that helps a lot. Maybe they could give some trigger points to help as well, as they are not invasive but that might help overall with the muscles and scar tissue. Keep us posted with the next appointment.
  • Fantastic! It really goes to show that you gotta keep the faith and keep searching for a solution until you are satisfied!

So happy for you!
  • Dave that is awesome news! I hope that you continue to get the long awaited relief!! A little relief is better than a kick in the arse!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    Kicks in my arse, I think its on the list for my next surgery!!

Thanks again all ... I actually look forward to seeing this doctor. Now I know I'm nukin futs!

Spine-Health Moderator

This discussion has been closed.