Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

si-bone site

StarshineSStarshine Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Si-bone the company sponsoring this has a comprehensive site concerning their product. All should go there to get some info concerning their product and company as well as some anatomy.

My question for the sponsors: It seems this is a young company and a fairly new procedure. I did not see much research posted on the site and what i did see were of small samples. Did i miss them? It is really important to see the results of your specific procedure with the product which you are endorsing.

• Lisa, are you researching the surgery or researching the rods themselves. I see about the same results of research that i can find for the rods in my cervical spine. Most patients don't research the hardware or even no the name of the hardware being placed in them, but really research the surgeon doing the procedure. Along with the specific procedure being done. If I was in your shoes with SI joint disfunction I would be talking very specific with your surgeon.
  • Tam- I don't have s1 joint dysfunction, just reading around. I think its important to do both types of research. For example, how much experience the surgeon has using a specific type of hardware and how successful it has been. Personally, i think the success rate using a specific hardware and the approach should be taken in consideration. So, i didn't see much on s1-bone since it is quite new according to the site. Just wondering....

It took about 5 years for the research to come in concerning dupuy hip joint replacement. Now people need revisions about 15%. So just some food for thought.
  • Starshine,

Good point. There are many startups floating around with interesting ideas. All the new ones push MIS solutions. For my fusion I used a product from a small startup like this one.

There is both risk and reward to using new products with little to no long term studies. You have to decide if you want to be on the leading edge or just use the old tried and true approach.

I agree with you that talking this over with your surgeon is very important. When mine suggested I consider the alternate method he preferred. I invested a lot of time researching it. Sadly these new companies are hard to find valid data on.

• You are correct. SI-Bone, Inc. is a young and growing company. The iFUSE technology was developed by Dr. Mark Riley, a notable inventor and orthopedic surgeon and approved for market clearance by FDA in November 2008. Though the iFUSE device is a relatively new minimally invasive surgical alternative, the practice of surgically fixating the SI joint is not.
    The clinical experience referred to for iFUSE is based on individual surgeon and patient accounts of their individual results. While it will take several years to generate data from a controlled trial, in the interim the company strives to provide patients with sufficient information to help educate the general public regarding SI Joint disruptions and alternative treatments. It is also a very good idea to discuss with your surgeon what surgical option he feels is best for you.

• All I can say is WOW! What an immediate difference this has made for me. I went to UCLA orthapedic hospital for this procedure. Dr. Nick Aarya Shamie, Director of spinal deformity surgery @ UCLA medical center was the operating physician. Just about two years prior I had sustained a serious fall which resulted in severe low back pain. This fall resulted joint hypermobility and chronic inflammation(sacroilitis) in the right sacroiliac joint. After my appointment with Dr. Shamie he ordered a CT of my pelvis and a sacroiliac block to confirm his diagnosis. The CT revealed bi-lateral sacroiltis with bone spurring(more so caudelly on the right)When the diagnostic SI injection was taken this resulted in 90% pain relief for four hours. This confirmed his diagnosis. Soon afterwards surgery was scheduled. After a two night hospital stay I returned to Washington State with a new lease on life. My horrible vaginal pain(due to constant irritation of the sacral nerves) was eliminated, leg pain gone, SI pain gone. All I can say is thank you. This new procedure gave me my life back.