Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated C6/7, bulging C5/6 and C7/T1

parrotheadpparrothead Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, everyone -

I am new to the boards.

On 1/27/11, I began having neck & upper back pain. At first, my doctor thought I pulled a muscle and ave mea Medrol pain pack. That did NOTHING. As time went on, the symptoms worsened and the pain reached my forearm. I got an MRI on 2/9/11 and it showed that C6/7 had ruptured and C5/6 and C7/T1 were also bulging.

I saw a neurosurgeon who noted that my left arm and hand were smaller & weaker than my right and recommended an ESI for the pain & inflammation. But, he was doubtful about the effectiveness b/c I did not respond at all to the Medrol. After the injections (C5/6 and C6/7), my pain is a bit better (but it was already a bit better by the time I went for injections) BUT now I have tingling/pins & needles feelings in my thumb, index & middle fingers. I did not have these prior to the ESI. They began the day after.

I am going back to my neurosurgeon next week and I know that they are going to want to do surgery.

I am wondering what are some alternatives to surgery that I can suggest/try, as I only want to do surgery as an ABSOLUTE last resort. I am only 33 and have 3 children age 4 and under. Being out of commission for 4-6 weeks of recovery just does not seem possible!!!!

Thanks for your advice.

• Sorry you are having such trouble but you came to the right place for support -there are many here with the same or similar issues. I myself had no choice on surgery as I had 2 discs compressing my spinal cord. I had tried pain meds, steroids and Physical Therapy. I got temporary relief and then just got so bad I had to have surgery! Maybe you could try some physical therapy with pain management injections prior to surgery. The physical therapy might be able to give you tips on how to best care for your small children without continuing to do damage to your neck. I am sure if you are constantly lifting small children that can't be helping. My 4 year old son broke his femur bone in his right leg and was in a full body cast bad in September. I popped my 2 disks out while trying to lift his wheelchair out of my car. I tried the PT initially because I still had to care for him for 8 weeks. It had gotten so bad at the end I was sleeping on ice packs. I so hope your issues do not progress to that point. I know now that lifting him in his body cast after my injury only made my issues worse to a point that surgery was my only option. I wish you the best and good luck at your appt. Keep us posted on how you are doing and if you need anything else! Take Care!
  • In my opinion - get the surgery if it's recommended, ASAP. I dealt with (and wasted time with) physical therapy, pills and pain management doctors for 3 + years. Finally I went to a surgeon AT MY INSISTENCE. Thanks to the lazy & incompetent PM doctors prior to surgery I now still have the same pain after getting an ACDF C5-7, probably because I wasted too much time . No guarantee, but the sooner the better.
  • Parrothead,

First off, Welcome to Spine Health!! From what you're describing, chances are you will be offered surgery. The big worry is 'weakness' which by the atrophy you're describing, is an issue. You don't want that to be permanent. When my C6/7 went, it caused permanent damage, and forced me to retire early! You are a lot younger than I (48+) and so you might heal much better and faster. Sorry you are going through this.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Parrothead, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having these issues. I can totally relate to your pain and discomfort as well as your frustrations and concerns.
    I, myself, tried PT as well as injections to no avail. However, please keep in mind that everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another. Give the PT an honest try and go from there. You know your body and pain threshhold the best and will know, without doubt what is working and what isn't. Listen to your body.
    I sure hope the conservative route works for you, but if not, remember, you are NOT alone. Keep us posted.

• Thank you for the advice, everyone. I will report back after my appointment on Tuesday.
  • I have compression in C 5/6 and C 6/7. A neurosurgeon is recommending surgery even though luckily and gratefully I am experiencing no pain. I am only aware of this condition because it showed up on a cervical spine MRI I had. I have twice yearly cervical spine MRIs because I have MS.

My next step is to get a second opinion. Feeling some urgency about this, but think it is only wise to get additional opinions. The reason he made them determination to do surgery is because he has viewed these MRIs over time and sees more compression over time. So it is not just a chronic but stable condition. Any thoughts anyone?