Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year since sucessful 3 level Artificial Disc Replacement

kendrakkkendrak Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had L3-S1 replaced in Bogen, Germany by Dr. B and I am better than ever. No more pills of any kind. I'd love to talk with anyone considering this. It gave me my life back. I'm trying to have another baby again!!! :-). Couldn't be happier. I was in pure misery before for almost 18 years. I paid for $40,000 of my surgery and Premera Blue Cross picked up the hospital bill. You can e-mail me at kendrakennedy2@aol.com
Good luck. Your health is so priceless. If money wasn't a factor what would you do? Do what is right long term. Our FDA is so behind the times, I feel sorry for multilples that are having failed fusions. My Dad was one of them and I watched him live in misery everyday.

• Wow look who it is! Good to see you and that you are doing so well! =D>
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Always good to hear GOOD news! So happy for you! :) Thanks for sharing.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • You seem pretty young.
    What do the German doctors suggest they will do should the discs fail (meaning the material breaks down)?

That seemed to be the only concern of my surgeon here based on my age.

I am holding steady with my microdiscectomies but still keep educating myself b/c I suspect I'll have problems in the future.

p.s. So excited to hear you are doing well. I really think ADR seems mechanically better than fusion so I'm glad to hear a year out, you are feeling so great!
  • Congratulation! That is wonderful news. Thanks for coming back here and sharing a success story with us.
    Wishing you all the best!
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• Hi Kendra,

Thanks for thinking to come back and let us know how you are doing. I have sometimes wondered how you were going, so it is lovely to get this good news.

I wish you a very happy life and especially as you think to try and expand your family. How exciting!
  • So happy to hear that kendra, I was looking into the same surgery around the time you got yours with the same doctor. I am now in more pain than ever and loosing mobility, but I'm in a great pt program and have a local surgeon that uses prodiscs and is in close contact with Dr B.

If this last ditch effort of therapy doesnt work I will be looking at a good chance of going your route. I was told I need the same three level ADR so time will tell.

Enjoy your new lease on life...........

• from another website .i am very happy for you and i hope that you LOOK AFTER your new back ..it so very easy to forget how much pain you were in before surgery ,i don't want to put a downer on things but your consultant {if its the one i think it is} is the best and you wont get another chance if you make a mess of your implants.remember that its a repair and will never be as strong as your back was prior to the damage .so again i urge you to be careful and live a long and healthy life .you don't want to be back on here saying that you are in pain again because you decided to go rock climbing or something like that! good luck with the baby trying.. enjoy the practice
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Kendra!

I tried to check in with you a few more times but never heard back from you. Glad you are doing so well! Good luck to you!

• Wow,that is so cool,cheers for coming back & reporting that positive news.It must be so great to not have to take pain meds & be pain free.
    So ,are you able to run???Just out of interest.I really struggle as it seems to jarr with instant pain.
    All the best,for a long happy life.

• Thinking of you and hoping that you are now back to your life, and enjoying your family. :D

• So happy for you. :))) :))) I missed your post because I was sick and wasn't on the computer for a week or so.

Wonderful news that you're trying for another baby !!

Wishing you and your family lots more happiness.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • So glad to hear your story...I wish the FDA would get with it here in the US...I was a perfect candidate for a multiple disc replacement...but had to go for the replacement and fusion since FDA only approves ONE artificial disc as they call it...uggg....but thus far love the surgery and can't wait to get further in my recovery...stories like yours keep me going on my bad days....good luck on extending the family!!!