Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sharryb1ssharryb1 Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
HI! New to this site, fairly new to the compter and typing too! I just typed all my suff in and I don't know where it went!! :/ :''( SO I will try again! I wish I had found this site sooner!! I basicly went through my pain and surgery without very much support or education!I have degenrative disk disease,arthritis and mineral spurs up and down my spine. I now know that I had a posterior lumbar interbody fusion. They removed the 5th lumbar disk and put in a metal cage, broke the facets to make room and 2 rods to hold the 5th and 4th vertabreas together and a bone graff from my hip stuck in there. 2yrs of pain, and all kinds of pills and spinal injections and almost the loss of use of my left leg,I had back surgery.It wasn't until the last injection when the poor Doc bumped the needle in my spine and said "Oh!I bet that felt like pins comming out your butt!" I said "Oh yes that did!" He was really sorry! That was enough!! and with bone on bone, IDecided to have surgery. That was about 3yrs ago. Almost no pain. All I'm taking right now is flexeril and acetaminophen and prozac for depression. All that did a number on my head!!! I now wonder when that awful lump of mental feeling in my back is going to go away, or will it aways feel that way?

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot help you with your question but perhaps your surgeon would know!! even though it has been several years since you had surgery, i would think he would still see you!! someone may come along with an opinion as well! i am glad you are not in alot of pain.. take care and good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thanks! :) for your fast reply Jenny!I'm just learning how to do the computer thing! Love the smilely faces! Brought tears of joy to my eyes! I felt so alone for so long! I knew there had to be more people out there like me. but didn't know how to find them, just happened to type in back surgery in google. Now lets see if I can find me again
  • Sharry,

Welcome to Spine Health! I went through my first two fusions like you did with yours - lack of support or answers. I found this site while searching the net! I find this place to be a collection of wonderful people with a wealth of knowledge and compassion! I hope you find it the same. Welcome aboard!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Greatful for my surgeon, he did a great job! I still have pain and back problems,but not like use to. Great site!! :) B)
  • Welcome sharry. I'm sorry you had little support and education going into your surgery. Try to look on the bright side, I don't know your personality yet, but for me.. I had many operations in the days before the computer age, but now that I have more knowledge (or just read so much) about the operations..I'm way more scared now than I was then..lol. I'm so glad you found Spine-health and I know you will find a lot of support and any information you may be looking for right here. Welcome. :H

Some info on DDD; http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/degenerative-disc-disease
  • Wecome to Spine-Health. You'll find a wealth of information here and the members are so friendly, knowledgeable and helpful that I think you'll find what you've been looking for. So many of us have.

I also had a posterior lumbar fusion at L4/5 due to stenosis, facet problems and spondylolisthesis. I was lucky that I found this site just before my ACDF so I've had lot of support during my 2.5 years of spine problems.

We've said here many times, once a spiney always a spiney, and it looks like you fit that bill too. Your surgery was three years ago and you still need support, so I'm glad you found us.

I hope you don't have an ongoing issues. It seems like so many here have problems in one part of our spine and then another problem area pops up. Like for me, I had a 3-lvl ACDF (C4-7) and then just over a year later had my lumbar surgery. Now I have more problems above my cervical fusion, but have chosen to take care of it with meds, exercises and ignoring it as much as possible.

Anyway, I wanted to welcome you to our spiney family and hope you stick around to share your story and get help when you need it. We're here for ya.

Take care,
  • Thanks!Cath111. I'm so new at this computer stiff! I keep getting lost! My hubby tells me that it was S1 and L5 that was fused. I thought it L5 and L4. I was so doped (I guess thats how you it.) so doped up I didn't know if I was comming or going half of the time of the time! Good for the pain but bad for the brain! =)) :))( :))( Three years later, I'm just now able to laugh at some of the crap I went through! #:S love the faces :X
  • Just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the site. The members on this site have been wonderful, and supportive to me and I am so glad that I found them. I am sure you will find answers you need as well as just meet people who are going through similiar things and understand. I can't answer your question about the metal feeling in your back as I am waiting to have my fusion. Just wanted to welcome you here.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • thanks! and want to wish you the best with your fusion! and hugs back to you too >:D< How long do you have to wait for your surgery?
  • Can you feel the metal in your back when it is cold out, or is it a feeling that you have all the time? How is your leg, did you regain full use of it?
    I go to see my nuerosurgeon tomorrow and should get the date then for my surgery.
    Hope you have a painfree/less day today.
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • When I'm still and not moving around, I don't feel any thing! Oh! so wonderful! :))) I can finely enjoy sitting and lying down! :jawdrop: =)) :))( so happy for that! But when I walk and move around I can feel all that metal,doesn,t matter if it is cold or not. And yes I got the full use of my left leg back,weakened though. I had to work hard on it. left leg doesn,t bother me, its my left hip that hurts, so I'm back in PT.DOC and me hope its not scar tissue growing! Stupidly, it felt sooo gooood not to move.I GOT LAZY!shame on me! Then when I tried to move Igot stiff and got stuck #o :''( PT and DOC think my left hip might be due to a lack of movement. stupid of me!!!! :& ~X( makes me want to cry and sick to my stomach when I think about it. take care of yourself and don,t take it for granted and don't get lazy!!! >:D<
  • A simple hardware block injection will tell ya if its posible that its the hardware causing any issue or not. I never knew about the hardware block untill i read about it here. I had my hardware removed about 3 years after my fusion and it helped a litle i guess. I always felt the pressure from the hardware before. Some people have it removed but only if its causing issues. Ps. Good luck ouch on your fusion. Alex
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I see my PT monday.I'll ask him if he knows anything about a hardware block injection,and if not I'll ask my doc. Can't wait for monday, I LOVE that warm pool they have there! :) Still trying to find my way around in here! There is so much information here. Spent all a saturday just looking around! :)
  • Sharry and Alex.I am anxious for tomorrow to see if I will get my date and hopefully not too far in the future. I am nervous about the surgery especially when I see stories like yours and Alex's, where there is still trouble after fusion (or adr)I am at the point though where I need to take a chance.
    Good luck tomorrow and yes I would definately ask about the hardware block injection.
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • easyer said than done ....just think positive thoughts. I was scared too! I hadn't heard anything good about back surgery when I had mine, only bad stuff! my brother-in-law had a very bad out come with his back surgery! SCARED me to death! but I had so much pain. I'm sooo glad I had it done. I really don't have much pain, just some discomfort, thats all! tylenol works preetty good! The damage was pretty bad. They had to do alot of cleaning of tissue and bone. I was in there a long time. But all in all it went quite well! I'm happy. I have a very bad back any way. Any improvement is great. I just plain wore out my back. 30yrs of nursing, I have arthritis and spur all up and down my back. wore out my shoulders too. Had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulder. I was just so tired of all that pain! I wish you nothing but the best! >:D<
  • I too have rods, screws, plates, more screws, disc spacers, more screws, cadaver bone, more screws, bone marrow from my own hip, more screws, what I am trying to say is that I am Screwed! I have had L3-L4-L5-S1 fused with rods and screws, had that done in 2006. I can still feel the rods in my back. After my surgery, I thought that I would never get use to the rods being in there. I had to realize that they were there to stay so I just deal with the weird feeling. I have also had my C4-C5-C6-C7 fused in my neck. How long ago was your surgery done? I am suppose to be returning back to work this Monday, 3-21-2011.
  • My surgery is 3 years this last february. I don't have the pain that I used to have before surgery. But my back isn't the same as before the surgery. My left hip just recently started hurting so bad I couldn't hardly sleep on either hip. I have been going to PT and the hips feels better and I can at least sleep but my left hip is still pretty bad. Something is pinching in there.

I'm driving up to the top of Idaho in the morning, almost to Canada. I'm driving up with a friend of mine to help her move back here to Arizona. That will be 2 days up and 2 days back in a car and moving van, with 2 kids, a dog,some fish and a guinepig. Thats going to be some trip! :jawdrop: :))( I hope...I think my back can take it!
  • Hi sharryb1,

Welcome you here.

Sure you will have great time with all of us.
  • Hi back to you Johnreal! :H Thanks for the welcome :)