Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone growth Stimulators...can you feel it?

tracibennttracibenn Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I use a bone growth stim every day. I use it for 30 minutes. As soon as I turn it on I feel a sort of cramping feeling. I was told (and have read) that you can't feel them, but i sware that I can tell when its on. those of you that use one, do you feel it?

• I wear one for 4 hrs a day I don't feel anything but I do seem a little bit more tender as soon as I take it off.
    I did notice that you can hear it beep over the phone or if your in a store the scanners at the register won't work until you step away,and those security things they post by the doors go off as if you stole something.
  • It sets alarms off? Interesting! I guess it is magnets, which is what the antitheft devices are made out of too. I only wear mine at home since its only for 30 min.
  • That is kind of normal if you can feel something. They do work off magnetics so there is a force that is pulling through them all though very gradual. When I wore mine had it for 4 hours a day and it took sometime to get used to the additional pain. But I thought of it just like any med, needed to get through the side effect. Some patients may not even feel it, same as some patients don't have a side effect with a given med.
  • I couldn't feel mine, but noticed I had more headaches shortly after wearing mine - the 4 hour a day one. It isn't that heavy, and since I had my hard collar on, it wasn't pressing on my neck, so not sure why the headaches. After I was done using it, the headaches backed down.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • i never feel nothing with mine.. it is just wires sticking on each side of my neck.. and from what i understand .. it just sends mild pulses that pull calcium out of other parts of the body to the sugery area to help rebuild bone around the cage in my neck... i do notice however, that i have re fractures some ribs from coughing... so i am taking additional calcium supliments to help replace the calcium taken from other areas and i am having additional problems with my teeth also.... i jut find it more annoying than anything... wearing a cell phone size battery pack and wires... i had a C5 corpectomy and C3-7 fussion.... 8 weeks out of post... and have some issues.. but doing well all the same.... good luck all and god bless
    elizabeth schlink
  • I haven't had the surgery yet (set for March 15). Today someone delivered my bone growth stimulator. It's nothing like I expected. I will need to wear it for two hours and 15 minutes (seems an odd choice). Will probably just do it first thing in the morning to get it out of the way. I don't want to wear it out of the house. Too many worries about people with pacemakers, etc. If anyone has advice on wearing it, I'm all ears.
  • I have to wear mine 24/7 and my ex husband has a pacemaker and comes to visit and it has no effect on his... mine is small and easily concealable, so can wear under my shirt. It only looks like a phone or pager clipped to my pants or belt, and they don't see the wire affixed to my neck. They should have gave you a contact person to call with any questions or concerns. Don't feel bad about calling them, that is what they are there for. Very good luck with your surgery, and remember to do everything they ask of you, and don't rush your recovery. especially with lumbar surgery, it is more intense. good luck and god bless.
    elizabeth schlink
  • I am wearing mine for 4 hrs a day for the next 8 months. I do feel sore after wearing it. Not sure if it is just because it is hanging on my still sore neck? It is the "ticking" sound that drives me nuts! In a quiet room I hear it. I also had to learn not to use my cell phone because it would cause a hum.