Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 weeks post surgical l4,l5 ALIF

danmddanm Posts: 1
just a note to those who have put off surgery after hearing so many horror stories. I had degenerative spondilothesisis and lived with horrible sciatica for years because of all the stories I had heard. Now I wish I had the surgery done a long time ago because I am pain free for the first time in years. I had ALIF surgery done on L4,L5 disc along with pedicle screws and rods put in. They are so much better about pain management in the hospital these days. It's been years since I had surgery Back then I remember after 3 hours begging for another pain shot. Now with the morphine pump there was little discomfort and after the pump was removed I had dilaudid shots and pain pills. Was walking 1 day after surgery with a cane and was home after 3 days. I am mostly pain free from the surgical area - some discomfort in the incision area in front but MUCH better than sciatica pain!! I am walking for about an hour a day now - something I couldn't have dreamed of prior to surgery. If you find a surgeon you feel comfortable with and have faith in then don't put it off. My life was on hold for way too long and now I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy it again!!

• I'm happy for you,hope you continue to feel better.
  • Really good to hear a good positive story about ALIF. Im due in next week for ALIF L5/S1, and quite apprehensive.

Hope you continue to progress well.
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • am 2 weeks and 2 days post op on l5/S1 ALIF - was terrified pre-op but the results are already starting to show - much reduced pain already, except when I overdo it and feel like crap.
    The first couple of days post-op were awful but I spiked a fever of 103 and got sent back to hospital so hopefully your transition back home will be easier!

I waited 25 years to do this and find the right doc so - good luck!
  • Hey adrianl, great to hear you are starting to get good results so early into your recovery. I hope i follow you :)i go in in 3 days, im sooo worried about the abdominal incision and pain.
    wow that is some temperature! did you get an infection?

i too tried to search the right surgeon, not 25 yrs mind :)
    My op has been cancelled 3 times, im hoping this one doesnt end up the same, as im nearly there in the mental preparation.

thank you, and good luck in your recovery :)
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • Glad to hear you both are recovery nicely from your ALIF.
    wish you both continued Wellness!
  • I too was scared of having this surgery because of all the horrible stories I read on group pages like this. I am 56 years old and had my surgery 3 months ago on L4 L5 with disk graph and rods and screws. I will admit the pain I had after the surgery far exceeded any pain I had before. There were days when I wondered if I had made the correct decision. The worst thing was the pain in the opposite leg from the original problem. Muscle spasms were horrible and I still have small ones from time to time. The pain in the soles of the feet were awful with a lighting bolt of pain shooting out of my big toe. The Dr. said it would get better, probably a nerve was touched or bruised during surgery. And it has. Around the 2 and a half month mark, I felt the best I had felt in about a year. I will return to work in about 2 weeks. I would have never believed it would take 3 months to recover from a surgery. So if you are considering this surgery, know the recovery time is long and if you cannot take 3 months out of work it would be hard to go back earlier. I took my Dr's advice--he told me to decide if I wanted to do the surgery at this point in my life while I was in relatively good shape, or be an 80 year old woman trying to recover from such a serious surgery. I am happy I had the surgery and would do it again. I am looking forward to getting back to work and getting back to my routine...something I could not do with the sciatic pain before. Good luck to all
  • GabegebaraGGabegebara Posts: 2
    edited 03/01/2014 - 3:04 AM
    Your posts put my concerns somewhat at ease. I was told it takes 6 or 7 weeks to almost recover. Others have told me 6 months. Am betting on the average of about 4 months. This is my first surgery ever and am 75.

What are the most stressful situations post surgery for day-to-day living. I live almost alone?