Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shoulder blade spasms after rotator cuff surgery

TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
i am fighting a BRUTAL spasm in my shoulder blade after surgery on friday. i had a rotator cuff repair with metal anchors, biceps release, acromiotomy and a/c join excision. the weight of my arm in the sling is contributing, for sure, but this is a constant source of misery for me.

i have used mt tennis ball, muscle relaxants, stretched my neck, had trigger point injections twice in two weeks....any other suggestions before i go stark, raving mad?? i'm thinking ron may have some words of wisdom for me. oh, and i've tried heat and ice, too, to no avail....

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,834
    But I am not totally sure. I know that after my shoulder surgery, I was getting spasms not directly in the shoulder blade area, but more towards the deep Rhomboid muscle.

The only relief I would get from that is while I was in the sling, I propped my arm up on pillows, so that it was almost 90 degrees from my body.

The other thing, which has its pros/cons is the sling itself. The longer I was in the sling (which the directions were 24x7 for 4 weeks), the more I had those spasms. When I would take the shoulder off, the spasms were not that present. But on the other hand, my hands started to swell quite a bit.

I dont have a really good answer, just some things that I did notice. And I agree, the muscle relaxers did nothing for the spasms.

I used more ice than heat during the times I was really uncomfortable.

Lets hope those spasms dont last too long for you.

Tracy, take care
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i did try ice this morning, but it didn't help. my sling is on for 12 weeks, so i have a long road ahead! the spasm could very well be in my rhomboid; it's just tucked in deep, so feels lie it borders the blade.

all in all i can't complain...the upside to years of chronic pain is that the pain probably isn't as bad to me as it would be to others.

• ron, i posted under cervical pain after i saw my physiotherapist; i wasn't sure if you saw that, so wanted to being it up again!

• This response won't help the previous postings but I though I would share my experience. I had full rotator cuff tear surgery. The doctor suggested that I use the sling the first couple of days. I found it to be a bother and started OTherapy 2 weeks later. That was Oct 29th. 6 weeks following surgery, I have returned to work with nearly all function to my arm. I was getting knots in my back/shoulder a week after returning to work. I have had 2 massages that have taken care of that.
    Listen to your body. Do the therapy and get massages. I take 1-2 Aleve a day when I am at work to help with the repetitive computer/mouse work I do.
    Good Luck to all
  • I'd strongly suggest a magnesium supplement. Well known to assist with muscle problems, and most of us are simple deficient in it.

Not a drug or anything mysterious.
    Cured me of my awful headaches caused by tight muscles. I wouldn't be without it now.

I get shoulder blade pain from a pinched neck nerve. Usually caused by overuse of arms. Physio and massage helps.
    Gradually gets better, and I'm on a high dose of magnesium.
  • TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
    edited 11/22/2012 - 4:42 PM
    Thank you for the replies to my original post! I was in a sling for 12 weeks with the first surgery and 13 weeks for the second surgery (long story, but they had many things to consider with me and the way my body heals). Thankfully it was worthwhile, and until I reread this, I forgot about those miserable spasms! :wink:" alt=":wink:" height="20" /> Despite our concerns, both surgeries were very successful, and I have two great 'new' shoulders!

As for the magnesium supplement, the magnesium/malic acid combination is especially good.