Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new and questions

geminigirl1965ggeminigirl1965 Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Im new to this and i have found that this site has been a great form of information..
Last tuesday i had L5/S1 spinal fusion..shaving of the bones and 2 discs removed... the surgery was very long first time 7 hours then i had no feeling i my left leg and no movement... i was back in emergency surgery 3 hours laster for another 4 hours as they had found blood clots on my nerve endings on my spine ..
for pain im on oxycidom... and all my other tablets
i still have no feeling what so ever in my left foot and most of my leg but i am able to walk a bit with someone or with a stick
yesterday morning i had a very strange experience that my legs shook and didnt move at all for about 1 min it has happened once more ..is this normal?
any imput would be a big help

Thank you

• ...often!

Sounds like a very long and arduous set of surgeries.

If you are completely numb or having bad spasms let the surgeon know. The numbness is pinched nerves. The electric type feelings or spasms are nerves/muscles waking up.

For the most part having some spasms is to be expected. You're fresh out of surgery. It takes a few days for the meds they used in OR to start wearing off. Your body is still in shock from what was done to it.

As long as you stay on top of the pain. Stay in close contact with the doc. The rest unfortunately becomes the slow healing process. It isn't days or weeks, it's much longer. So just hang on.

• Girl, it sounds like you have been run through the mill! Sorry to hear that. We're not supposed to give medical advice or conclusions on this site, but I feel pretty safe in saying that sustained loss of sensation in your leg & foot is not normal. As well, the shaking you mentioned sounds like nothing I've heard or experienced. If you have not contacted your surgeon about these symptoms, I'd encourage you to do so soon.

Please let us know what you find out, won't you?

• thank you for your replies
    i will call them tomorrow if there is any change... the meds im on are totally making me spaced out maybe thats what makes me like bambi!!!
    i will keep in contact on here :-C
    this is a great site i looked into it alot before i went in for operation and was good to see all the different opinions of what they had gone through

• Yes, you have been through quite a lot.
    If in doubt, call the surgeons. If you are not comfortable with the explanation, call back.

Keep us posted. Glad you contacted your medical team.
  • #:S update stitches out
    nurse said it was healing well :)))
    PT starts 21st march....
    still no feeling in left leg :(
    awaiting to hear from doc to see if he still wants me on the strong medicine :O) sends me spaced out image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    weekend here ...boyfriend here to look after me :X

hope you all have a pain free weekend