Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to do for pain management for spinal fusion and rods

justmesuejjustmesue Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Pain Management
Hi there..I'm a new member...I am writing about my sister...I found this forum and hope I can find some help for her. She has had 6 back surgeries and 3 sets of rods put in her back in the last yr...she initially had hurt her back at work and had surgery years ago and then small rods were put in...as her spine degenerated..her surgeon had put in larger rods...she wound up with a severe life threatening infection that had to be surgically removed from her spine...the infection ultimately ate away at her bones..and the surgeons spent hours reconstructing her spine..6 months after the rods were put in her back..one broke...she had to have both rods replaced again and spinal fusion...it is now 6 months after that surgery...she is suffering in so much pain..she is on pain meds...has tried physical therapy...chiropractics...cold laser therapy..accupuncture..massage..nothing has helped her and she suffers so much...her nerves were cut during surgery and honestly her body is disfigued from all the surgeries. She is a trooper but she is finally getting beaten down by this...So my question to any of you on this board....Is there anything that a person can do for pain management for this type of pain and surgeries? She is willing to try anything to get relief...I will do anything to find it for her...Please help..Thank you so much!!!!!

• Hello,
    This scenario is more common that you think the incidence of chronic pain after subsequent surgery is expressed on this site. We expected our condition to return to normal and that situation would eventually wear anyone down.

The most effective way of managing pain is an array of simultaneous strategies and six months although as the patient may seem a long time I was told 15 months to have some tangible ongoing improvement.

Encouraging your sister is a difficult role between finding what people can actually do, as opposed to where they think the limit is, what continuing medical support is she getting, find what makes the pain less if anything and do more of that, rest and pace well do things that are achievable and inspire confidence to move to the next stage.

PT is difficult for everyone in pain and the disadvantage of not doing any, starting off is always more difficult and makes you feel like giving up because we do not see any improvement in the expectation and timescale we set ourselves. PM sometimes relates to the effort we put in and it is challenging, we will be asked to do things that are unfamiliar and change in pain is never easy. A solution is needed for every individual and the need to find our own and be positive about the outcome, this takes time experience and professional support.

Who is caring for her day to day care, has the medication been monitored and reviewed who is responsible. Patients have to concentrate on what they can do rather then historic issue however relevant, pain is pain.

My own failed fusion has been supported even after all this time, it is not that the pain itself has changed rather my coping and skills have improved, this is a management skill, no magic solution is possible. It may well be that the perception of the pain is reduced in the management of it, rather than the actual underlying pain itself. What is the next step.

We all thank carers who attempt through love and nurturing to cater to our needs and support us through kind words and encouragement everyday, this is learning for everyone.

I have sent you a PM link.

Take care. John

• i feel for your sister i can get my pain down to 3 on the scale she must be in unreal pain she needs the best pain med until they can get her fixed up as best they can iwill pray for her GOD bless