Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still here - 1 month post ACDF

lavenderthistlellavenderthistle Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok...after I digested the news that I was inoperable and would eventually have to accept paralysis...I found a third doctor. Since then:

I spent a month in a Vista in position 6 to stretch neck. 24/7 could lower it to 4 for meals... NOT fun!! this was done to see if any discs would slide back away from my SC. 3 of them did!

Royally failed Babinski,Hoffman's, tandem walking, reflex tests etc...surgery was deemed necessary asap to stop the advance.

I got the next open surgery day 2 weeks after the decision was made...my choices were simple....paralysis or slight risk of paralysis...chose slight risk.

I was despurred centrally and foraminally, discectomied and fused, the retrolisthesis was fixed in the fusion; not sure if he did anything to the hypertrophic tendons. I'm one month post op. I still have some swallowing difficulties, mainly fatigue at this point. My voice is still up and down, sounds really gravelly. Still collared because of slow healing issues...I'm an odd ball!! It seems at this point I have some central cord syndrome but I can totally live with that! I can walk and I should be able to walk for the foreseeable future, just more slowly right now. Right hand is the most affected.

All in all, i'm good! I actually feel pretty awesome. I might need surgery later, there was some spurring at 4 and the disc at 4 had been affecting my hearing. 4 slid past needing surgery because it slipped back in place; the collar therapy helped that at least for now. I've had some really emotional moments as I've realized how much was affected that I never knew about. I think this recovery might take a while, and my issues may never be 'over' but at least now I'm ok. :-) TX for the advice you gave me. I'm here if any of you have questions, and I'll probably have more myself!

• You have really been through it! What a great attitude you have. I hope your healing will continue and further surgery won't be necessary. My best wishes to you.
  • Good luck with your recovery Lavender. Hang in there.
  • Wow, you really have been through the wringer. I'm very glad to hear that you're doing better, have gotten through everything and are on to recovery.

You're only one month out of major surgery and I remember that I also had a sore throat and gravely voice for quite a while after my ACDF. You've still got a ways to go in recovery and it's imperative to continue to take care of yourself.

My healing thoughts are with you and hope all goes well. Just think if you hadn't found that one special doctor...that's why further opinions are so important, you've shown that here. Thanks for that and the update.

• It's been an odd road!
    My voice came back about 2 months post surgery. I spent 3 days completely mute (husband and son loved that!)
    Swallowing well, returned about 2 months also.

As stated I do have central cord syndrome, it was worsened with a post surgical whiplash. It isn't bad enough to affect much. I feel truly blessed. And yes, even with that I am still glad I had the surgery. I can turn my head and am not worried right now about this progressing for a few years.

• i have missed this thread of yours started in
    march,just saw it now

im shocked that 2 drs told you you were inoperable, when clearly you wer'nt, how awfull

what type of drs where they?

happy to hear your doing well in recovery