Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 day post-op microdisectomy, pain still, normal stuff?

deann23ddeann23 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, I know there are tons of posts about this but Im drowsy from the meds. I had micro on L2/L3 surgery yesterday. Wasn't that an adventure. Everything went well says the doc. My incision site is kinda gross looking. He used skin cement on the outside and has my skin pinched together. It is currently alittle red and Im wondering if that is normal it have or if i should ask the nurse. Also, preop I had major pain in my hips legs and butt. Well, I definitely feel it in my back now but sometimes my hips still get sharp pains when I'm laying down. Has anyone ever had this? Im nervous about all of it. Surgery is scary and knowing whether or not whats going on with you is normal is just as scary!

• yeap all that is normal those muscles and nerves are mad and upset from being moved around and they will settle back down! remember to walk and drink lots of water and make sure ya are on a s toll softner! best of luck to you
  • Don't hesitate to call your doctor's office with your concerns. I say this because despite what we tell you here, your doctor knows you better and you know yourself.

That being said
    - microdiscectomy is still a tough surgery. My first one, I felt as if someone hit me across the lower back (L5/S1) and would feel very tight up into my shoulders. I was told the shoulder tightness was where a muscle relaxer could help
    - the incision pain will get better in about a week to 10 days. You probably have a 2 week post-op appointment for the reason that they want to be sure that incision looks good. If it gets more sore and isn't healing, then worry but a day or 2 out...not a big deal. Liquid cement...hmmm, not a fan personally but your doctor probably likes the way the incision heals better than stitches.
    - hip and other soreness is common. you were face down for the surgery. Also, you've probably been compensating for the pain you've been in. Probably around week 6 or 10, your doctor should send you to PT...that person will teach you how to stretch and exercise to reduce that pain.

I wish you well in the recovery!