Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SilverFireSSilverFire Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone. Obviously I'm new here. Little about me, in 2004 I was exempted from a PT exam while in the US Navy for general back pain. I am currently 27 years old, turning 28 late October.

Since then, things have slowly gotten worse, and the pain has been constant. Currenly I am paving problems walking, and am actually afraid to hold my 3 month old baby, because I have a tendency to fall without warning.

According to my MIR's, I currently have the following:

Anterior Herniation L5/S1 with the disc applying pressure to the thecal sac. Disc is deteriorating.

Lateral Herniation T12/L1 with a major misalignment of the spine. (It's pushed in a good bit from standard position) Disc is deteriorating.

Lateral Herniation T5/T6, and there you can feel T6 sits about 1/4-1/2 inch in from T5. Disc is deteriorating.

Deteriorating Disc T4/T5.

I'm still waiting to see a neurosurgeon, the one my doctor referred me to hasn't replied if they're taking the case or not. I did get a referral from the ER to a different neurosurgeon, whom I will be contacting tomorrow.

The pain is constant, focused primarily on T12/L1, with lower level pain radiating all the way up and down my spine.

The symptoms I have that concern me are as follows:

Random falling-Legs will give out from under me while walking. (Not in a rested standing position though)

Leg pain-Occasionally the pain will travel down one or both legs.

Numbness-Numbness of one or both legs, or traveling numb spots.

Muscle weakness- A few days ago, I was in the ER. Every time I tried to simply stand, or walk, my leg muscles would spasm uncontrollably, and my legs wouldn't support my weight.

I have not had any numbness in the groin or impairment of bowel or bladder function, so the ER doctors are convinced it isn't cauda equina.

The leg pain is infrequent, and mainly comes about if I am standing or walking too long, or if I try to do any chores around the house. (I never thought my wife would yell at me for cleaning)

Now, what I found out right before I went to the ER is that my father has ankylosing spondylitis. The MRI results haven't said anything about me showing signs of it, but, I haven't gotten a chance to talk to a neurosurgeon about it. (When I researched it, I did find that one of the symptoms is upper back pain that is aggravated by a seated posture, which I do have.)

Is there anything I can do to help alleviate the pain? Any exercises, or over the counter medications that will help?

I also have an inversion table thing, where you lock your feet in, and it turns you upside down. Would using it show any benefit, or could that aggravate things more?

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have alot of questions and the forum is a great place to find answers.. you really need to see a doctor or pt before you start an exercise routine with your back problems.. it would probably be a good idea to just wait till you see your neurosurgeon before you start a program.. good luck to you.. have a look around the different forums and make yourself at home.. stop by anytime! and thank you for your service in the Navy!! Jenny :)
  • When my leg was weak and gave out and had numbness my Primary Dr. sent me for an EMG/nerve test then saw a Neurologist who referred me to a Orthopedic Surgeon who referred me to Pain Management and Physiotherapy who will give you the right exercises to do. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wow, so....basically, I should expect to be bounced back and forth like a ping pong ball between doctors?

That should make things interesting.

Thanks for the replies, and I'm glad I found this place.