Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD and discectomy is it worth it?

dax0007ddax0007 Posts: 66
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hello everyone!! Well I am a mess! I was diagnois with 2 HERNIATED DISC L3-L4 and L5-S1 also 2 buldging disc with moderate stenosis ALONG WITH MODERATE DDD diease

Anyways my question is this!! IF I opt to get a MICROdiscectomy on my herniated disc because I have DDD diease is there a GOOD CHANCE ITS GOING TO FAIL in a year or so BECAUSE OF my DDD diease(canal stenosis and nuerolforminal etc-moderate)?? I have had a few friends have types of Laminectomy and discectomy (micro too) WITH GREAT RESULTS, BUT THEY DID NOT HAVE DDD diease or i guess STENOSIS.. It appears anyone with DDD diease has STENOSIS..

My symtoms are NOT HORRIBLE at this time but they are constant and depressing type.. For example sitting for a long time kills my butt.. If i kick something i get shooting pains in my leg... Walking is okay but my back feels weak often.. I cant do normal work around the house without my back feeling like crap.. So i guess its a matter of time till i fall apart.. I see a nUERO tomorrow..

THanks for any help!

• I had a herniated disc at L5-S1 and it went away but I have the same pain ! But also have a numb foot and leg and tingling and pain in the leg as well as lower back pain. I now have DDD and the same pain as when the herniated disc was there but at the time didn't have DDD only over a year after the injury I developed DDD. Ask the Surgeon if delaying surgery would cause any further nerve compression and the risks if any to avoid it. Get a second opinion with surgery. Best wishes and report back thanks and take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello Charry:o) Thx for the reply.. Thats weird on how you DID NOT have DDD when diagnosised with herniated disc then a year later you got it.. I always thought that DDD takes years to developed.. Hopefully you dont have it or u have a MILD MILD form.. From what i understand after a bad accideent you can trigger DDD.. I have been through this song/dance with my neck a few years ago.. Time can be the answer and for me it was after about 6 months my neck and arm pain was livable/managable.. Now 2 years later my neck is just ok but FAR FAR from normal. take care,Don