Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5/C6 stenosis, hernia, horrible vibrations

arandaaaranda Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have had a car accident 4 years ago.
I have had a stenosis at C5/C6 prior.
The car accident worsended stenosis, additional hernia in that spot.
I was told I had only mild myelopathy in the center of the spine. The MRI which was taken lying down.
I do not know what the condition of C5/C6 stenosis would be standing up. My original stenosis was due two two factors a) I have an extrme narrow bony canal and then there was a slight protrusion. My bony canal has osteophytes.
b) slight protrusion of the disc
I have not had an upright MRI .
Since the car accident I have horrible vibrations in my neck, my arms, shoulders, sometimes even my head, chin.
Its hard to bear psychologically, its harder to tolerate than pain.
Episodically it goes way. Lying down, or the position I sleep in plays a big role. The vibration is worst after getting up in the morning.
Yet neurosurgeons, and an orthopedic surgeon, I have seen ,say the vibrations cannot come from the neck.
They act as this is the most obscure thing and they have never seen this before.
I can feel its from my neck.
Also I have this cracking along my entire spine now in my head, and severe problems with brain ischemia meaning, dizziness, tinnizus, feeling like drunk in my brain.

Is anyone out there who can commend
Is this really such an obscure symptom?
advertisement

Comments

• I just recently had surgery on C5-C6. My symptoms prior to surgery was similar to your symptoms, but minus the vibration. I've also never heard of vibrations, but you can't rule out that it's related to the cervical problems. Good luck and keep us posted! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I have lumbar issues, but when the pain becomes really bad, I get pulsing tinnitis. Once the BT med decreases the pain level, the horrible tinnitis stops.
    It took a long time to get any doctor to even listen to my complaint, but my PM doc said it could be stress.
    Strange!
  • This is kind of a dumb question but when you say "vibrations" do you mean muscle tremors (shaking)?

Whatever it is I believe you. I have a symptom that involves my breathing. I am certain it is related to my spine but my NS attributed it to "anxiety". I took my x-rays and MRIs to an OS for a second opinion and he too said he did not think it was related to my spine. He said he could refer me to a pulmonologist or a gastroenterologist. It is frustrating when your doctor doesn't believe you or can't adequately explain symptoms. In my case I think I will have to wait until either the symptom goes away or becomes bad enough to be obvious to the doctors. Most doctors I've met are not big on subtleties. It's like if the problem isn't right in their face it doesn't exist.
  • Aranda,

Welcome to Spine Health!! By "vibrations" is it similar to the 'buzzing' feeling you get as say...your leg starts waking up after it fell asleep; that kind of vibration? Or more of an internal "goose bump" "chilling" (without being cold) feeling?

I have issues throughout my cervical spine, and too some in my thoracic and lumbar. I get the internal goose bumps and chilling feeling all along the front of my thigh, and it really is annoying. I was told that it was the sensory nerves being aggravated and so telling me about it! A type of sensory spasm if you will.

I've found for me, these have been some of my nerve reactions: Burning hot feelings; ice pick stabs; electrical shock along an area; pulsing of muscles due to nerve messages causing them to spasm; tingles, numbness; itchy/creepy crawly feelings (like a bug walking on you);goose bump/chilly sensations;sensitive skin to the touch, but not with direct pressure on that area, etc. Remember our doctors learned by book, teachers, practice, but our bodies never read the book, and nerves for sure didn't!

I hope you have answers soon. Please let us know how it goes. Again, Welcome aboard!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes, the vibrations are an internal buzzing. Sometimes even little muscle twitches. its is not a visible tremor. Maybe it can still be called tremor, I do not know. It goes along with a weakness in my shoulders.Sometimes it even feels like my chin is vibrating. I do not have much pain. But because I have osteophytes as well, I wonder how bad my myelopathy is when I stand up.
    I have by now pretty bad weakness on my left side.

Has anyone had an upright MRI?
  • I've had an upright MRI. I made the mistake of scheduling it for late in the evening. The machine had been in use all day and by the time I got there it was hot. They did my entire spine. I was sweating terribly and almost passed out from the heat. Also, the technician said I could sit down, but I opted to stand. I don't know what I was thinking. If I had it to do over again I would sit.
  • aranda,

I don't consider my buzzing as a tremor. Mine too, like yours don't show on the surface of my skin. More likely than not, that is nerve action taking place there.

As for Positional (stand up) MRI's, I've 6 of them in the last few years. Recumbent MRI's can miss up to 50+% of spine issues. I can't stand that long, so for me, I opt for the sitting position for me. The quality of the films are good quality, on par with the recumbent MRI's.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • For what it's worth, I have internal brain vibrations which started in Feb 06. I'm female, 46....feel free to private message me back if you'd like. Oh, I forgot to mention, I began having my neck issues in 96. I was in a wreck in fall of 02...In my case, my vibrations are not due to my wreck, nor my recent surgery.

Hope your having a good day Aranda.
  • My disc herniation was C5 / C6 and MRI was lying down so you could see disc protrusion pressing on the spinal nerve. In my case, if I bend over to tie my shoes and I tilt my head up slightly as if I were looking up when standing, I feel a 'buzzing' down my entire shoulder and arm. I call it 'buzzing' but maybe my description is what you're calling 'vibrations'. It's a very fast feeling that seems similar to shaking only you can't see movement outside the arm. It's definitely related to disc herniation in my case. It is definitely worse in the morning so this is what I do.

1 - I get out of bed by rolling to my side, then using my arm opposite the side I'm lying on to push myself upright (this is how my Chiropractor told me to avoid back problems getting out of bed).

2 - I warm up a rice bag (raw rice contained inside a cloth) - the moist heat helps loosen up the muscles that tighten around the area of the herniation, just enough to relieve the tightness that happens over night.

3 - I bend my head forward instead of looking upward, bend at the knees to relieve the angle when tying my shoes so I can still see the laces but I don't put my head into the position which I know causes the problem.

4 - I sleep with a neck collar on to prevent me from moving my head into an awkward position which can worsen the pain.

My injury occurred around 11/29/10 and I have avoided surgery so far. I'm back to work now and have only mild discomfort since I took it VERY easy my first two months since the injury.

If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Best of luck to you!
advertisement