Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Whats going to happen to me?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Depression and Coping
I think that one of the major topics I read in these forums is After surgery, my life will never be the same

I am not going to try to paint a pretty picture saying that after surgery you will be able to return to everything you did before and there will be no impacts on your daily life.

They are a few people that actually have experienced that, but
for the majority there are changes.

When you first are thinking about surgery or you have had recent surgery, those changes all seem so negative. You think about all the things that you can no longer do.

All but the very severe situations, all of us can return to doing some of the things we did before and we can continue to enjoy a rich and happy life. How?

After spinal surgery, you will have some limitations. Those are in place to help prevent any follow on surgical procedures. Understanding those limitations and working with them can make all the difference.

You will have to adjust or modify some of the things you did before. You will have some lifting restrictions, you will have to learn how to bend and use your legs instead of your back.

There are many support groups out there that can help you with things like this.

For me, personally....

I loved gardening and digging into the dirt to improve my yard. Now, I have to limit my self, I use container gardening so I dont have to always bend.

I loved water sports, wave runners, etc. Instead of a speed boat,we now have a pontoon boat. No more wave runners, but
I can still be out in the water I love.

The point I am trying to make, is that you still can do so many of the things you loved, its just that you have to learn new ways or adjusted ways so that you do not do any additional damage.

My first spinal surgery was in 1978, my last in 2000 (not counting my shoulder surgeries in 2010). I have still lived a great and fun life. I still need several different medications, often visits to physical therapy and deep tissue massage, but I am always positive and looking forward to what I can enjoy tomorrow and the next day!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I think that could also apply to someone who had a spine injury and did not require surgery. They still need to be careful for awhile to avoid early reinjury while the vertebrae and discs are repairing. This takes weeks or months. I have had 1 month of recovery so far and haven't had to take anything for pain for this time. I still have twinges at certain times to tell me to quit doing this or that (usually slouching or flexing the spine excessively).

Thanks for the heads up regarding practical ways to recover (i.e. get to the maximum functional state that the spinal condition will allow or that post op instructions would prohibit) more quickly. This is very important, and one of my greatest complaints after going through this process, was the concern that my costs were going to be astronomical and secondly, that I did not get the amount of information that I needed to feel comfortable with this illness. Your post does help fill a gap in the general knowledge base for post spine surgery for me, and I'm sure others.