Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need to vent

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Matters of the Heart
It doesnt happen very often, but right now I just need to blow off some steam.

We've had about 9 inches of rain in the past several days, and on top of that, it melted so much of the snow. One of the TV stations indicated that it was the same as having about 6inches of water coming every hour.

Well, most of that is in my basement. Since Sunday night, I've been non-stop with my Wet-Vac pumping up water. I do have a sump pump in the basement, but where its located, no water gets to it. So, I empty the 6 gallon wet/dry vac container, lug it over to the sump pump to dump it.

So far I have had over 300 trips to the sump pump and water is still coming in. I can not get any relief because there are so many areas that need emergency help. We have roads washed out, train tracks wash out, mud slides and a few people stranded on a cul-de-sac.

I am not sure how my body is going to take this. I've been non stop with this and then going to work, coming home and heading to the basement. No time to feel if I hurt.

I will still try to come on line when I can, but please excuse me if I said a bit grumpy and cold. I am not in the best of moods right now.

One saving grace, as I have always said... All things must pass

I just wish this time they would pass a bit faster!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ron,

Vent away! Like has been said on here (and too by you) there are times we NEED to get it out or else burst!

I'm in a flood zone down here (on the edge of the Everglades), and of course we don't have basements down here,so it just goes right into the house! I use to live in Massachusetts, and seeing the basement completely underwater is a vision I will never lose!

I hope you don't 'pay' big-time in the pain department for all your efforts. Hell, a quarter of what you're describing, I would be physically done! Hoping the rain and flooding backs down soon. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sorry to hear what is happening to your home Ron, you sound exhausted. I know exactly how you feel as we had a flood recently, My husband got so exhausted staying up all night trying to bail out, in our case raw sewage, and he is fit.
    I hope the rain stops soon and the basement dries out.
    Take care

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Ron,
    That just bites. There is nothing worse than cleaning something up, you have no control over and can't stop it. Hopefully, it will pass soon. Vent away as you know we all get the pain side of it and how frustrating it is to see the mess, and then not feel good either.

On a side note maybe you could open a indoor pool, or a new slip and slide. Na just kidding. Hope you feel better soon and the rains stop.
  • Oh my! I can't imagine how hard that is for you ( or maybe I can imagine but don't want to!!!)
    Do you perhaps have a teenager that needs to make a few bucks in the neighborhood?
  • Wish I was there! I would help you, two bad backs are better than one. Don't hurt yourself!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Ron, Can you make it to a equipment rental yard? And get a submersible pump with enough hose to go to your sump pump or better yet enough hose to reach a outside area that will drain somewhere else?
    If they are out. The pump and hose would be well worth the price to get rid of the water and a potential back setback.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Have you called the Insurance company? They may be able to help you. Also if possible hire some kids or someone to help you do this as it may last awhile. Sorry to hear I've had a hot water tank blow on me and 60gallons in my basement and insurance took care of it and another flood but still lifting boxes up and sown stairs brought flare ups. Sorry to hear and ice when you can. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ron,

It's been 24 hours since your post. Just wondering how it is going, but more important.. Are YOU doing okay? I so hope you have others there now to help and you're NOT doing all this by yourself. I hope it is getting better. *HUG*

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Well, Now I can do the backstroke, breaststroke, but still best at the dog paddle!

Closing in on the end (I hope) unless we get any more rain. I now have 3 pumps working ...

Havent figured if I hurt yet, really havent stopped long enough to see.

Thanks for all your kind words
  • and hearing how much it involved you pumping out and trips out of basement - - oh Lordy!

Ron, please know our heart-thoughts are with you and hoping you do no more now that you have those pumps going - - somehow you must get some other bodies to help with the rest of the process and clean-up!

The things we spiney's do in the midst of an emergency and how it really can be way too much physically + the stress,e with results that truly hurts beyond the pain when we see there is no other option - - ??

Hoping you have been able to get some good rescue friends in this you deserve it and so does your spine/shoulders and whole body. Wishing you rest and recovery NOW and those willing ones to do the rest of what needs to be done and you just supervise - - okay??!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry to hear what a rough time you're having with the water. Hope you don't get more rain! I know that feels like fighting a losing battle but sounds like you're finally getting it under control thankfully. I hope the aches don't catch up to you when you can finally get some rest.

I'll be wishing for clear skies and sunshine for you Ron.

Take care,
  • Ron, that's just awful!! I hope that you are taking care of you, as well as everything else. I hope this doesn't set you back any!!! Take care, and try not to overdo it. Ice, heat do whatever any chance you get! And have a nice glass of wine while doing it ;)
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hey, PapaRon. That's a huge bummer to hear about what's happening. Yeah, it's gonna take its toll and you know it, but you're strong enough to wait and see AFTER you take care of the emergency.

Our biggest gripe here is that it snowed this morning, just enough to where my hubby can't golf today when the weatherperson said it was going to be a balmy 68 and sunny. Now it seems like such a little thing, as at least he's not pumping out his basement.

Way too many tragedies and emergencies happening around lately - flooding, earthquakes, tsunamies, mudslides - I guess those of us in easy areas should consider ourselves lucky.

As for your sump pump, I don't know anything about them, but maybe it can be moved to where the water actually floods when things are under control? Seems like almost a waste - but I'm glad you have things at least almost under control.

Take care, my friend, and I'm hoping we don't hear that you're down for the count after all this is over.

• Absolutely, that would be my advice, to try to round up some helpers.

This sounds brutal on your back.

I definitely would look around for some help with this, local kids, a handyman, whatever it takes to protect that back.
  • come to Florida Ron, we'll take good care of you :-)

I hope it gets better, Spring is on the way! Good luck

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Its so re-assuring to read posts like the ones you all did. It makes me feel even better to be part of this Spine-Health family. Words that you all used makes me feel even stronger to what I try to bring to this site.

Now, yes, I am very sore... Perhaps a bit too much. Sciatic acting up, my lower back is creating all sorts of wicked things. But like I discussed with my Physical Therapist today, once this onslaught of not-the-best-things-to-do when you have spinal problems, I will get back to my normal base line.

Today, I had a lot of Stem-Tens treatment along with some accurate leg stretching help very much. I was also in the therapeutic pool today, and the technician kept an eye on my to make sure I was doing everything correctly.

I am very honored to know that so many of you care about my spinal problems and have offered a lot of support.

I only hope that I can return some of this to all of your
  • Ron,

"Our lovely backs...." I'm so happy to hear that you didn't end up in the "intractable pain ball" with all those efforts! I know I've screwed up on my "good" days only to pay for days. Please make sure you take care of #1!! Thanks so much for the update.

Still hoping it is on the upswing of improvement...

• you have the remedies on a pumpin' for YOU now !! lol!

Know how the tens stim and therapy has worked amazingly well after we get in those difficult spaces of having done way too much.

Stay with the R & R and consistency in those tens/therapy sessions and that you can truly heal.... and you see those strange sciatica symptoms and pain overall does reverse and you're feeling better and stsble again !

p.s. I've seen some flooding of basements in my day in winter and spring up north, and remember all it involved quite an ordeal ..it was a nightmare! but it did get better and not much lost things can be restored and replaced...and it will come to being clean n dry and restored Hoping you can experience support and help in the rest of the pumping, clean-up and restoration - - I call 'em "two-legged angels" to appear and can be there with you in each phase :)

Hey, my goodness - - you betcha' we care & know what a difficult situation it was and.... hey, Pappa Ron, you've kept this care circle a goin here ! =D>

• I just saw this post!

We get water coming in, too; we have created a cement catch basin with a small pipe above it; when spring comes, we attach a garden hose to it and run it to our basement floor drain! It's not very attractive, but it works! We happen to live on solid bedrock and have a huge rock garden out front, so all the snow that melts runs down towards the house. We've tried doing drain tile, but because we are on the bedrock, we can't get down below the foundation, so we just prepare for the runoff!

I hope your body has settled down by now - take care and don't overdo it, mister!