Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Growth & Back to Work 3 month post ACDF

painfree at lastppainfree at last Posts: 239
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Sharing great news - 3 month Xray and NS follow up appt showed additional Bone Growth, all hardware solid in place and released back to work - no restrictions! Whew! Very excited to return to "normal" life but a little nervous anticipating additional aches and pains with full days of work and then caring for my family...
Have had some lower back issues thru all this too but thankfully not severe .. NS said probably have DDD thru-out spine and the best way to ensure disks stay at ease is to exercise, stretch, good posture and proper lifting - for LIFE! Have to put to use all I learned in PT into my normal routine - will be hard to fine the time but will have to adjust and just do it - do not ever want to have another one of these surgeries.
I talked to my Ns about the anxiety over new aches and pains after this surgery and the concern something could be wrong. She said she understood and said the rule of thumb is that if pain, numbing, tingling and loss of strength are constant that could be a sign to get checked out. If the pain/numbness etc comes and goes then most likely it is due to over-doing it but always air on the side of caution and if you feel like something is wrong call your DR ...

Have seen all different posts about how you know if you are fusing so I asked my NS. She said that for the 1st 12 months following ACDF they take xrays every 3 months and expect to see progressive bone growth at every xray and once they see no space in between the vertabrae could they say all is fused. And one thing I did clarify is not to take any medicine containing Ibuprofin for at least 12 months as that inhibits bone growth - interesting! Just wanted to share some things I have been advised!

As I return to full time work unfortunately I will not be able to be on the forum as much but always plan to check in when I can. I wish everyone successful road to painfree living as I continue on that road as well! I also am so thankful for this forum - my new found friends - for all of the support I would not have gotten otherwise!

• Mary,

Bravo, congrats to you woman! Always great to hear such good and positive news. Just remember to "take er easy" in the beginning. I can see your smile all the way over here! Please keep us posted on your continuing recovery and progress. Again, congrats on your great results and news. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hope you are doing well ... take care!
  • Just to say "congrats" on your successful fusion, and going back to work.

I had 2 cervical fusion's in the 90's and at the 3 month mark i too went back to work driving a truck.

So anyway like Brenda said "take er easy" and dont take on too much too soon. =D>