Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recurring Neck Pain

sukieessukiee Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Hello Everyone,
I had surgery in 2007 on C6 and C7. The neurosurgeon told me that I would probably have problems with C5 in 2 years. He was right. I started having pain again in 2009 then it stopped. It was off and on since then. My doctor doesn't want to do an MRI because, he said, I had too many MRI's and he don't think I need to get another one because it's harmful. He prescribed tramadol and flexeril. It calms the pain but it comes back. He also wanted me to take Gabapentin but I don't want to take it because of side effects. My brother took gabapentin and gained 25 pounds. I have hypothyroidism and I'm already battling my weight and don't want to gain any more. There's a big lump in the back of my neck. My doctor said, it's the bone and it's normal. Does anyone have this problem?

• First I heard that an MRI was harmful. I have gotten so many MRIs I couldn't count.
    I also have a bony bulge/big lump where my neck connects to my back. it is more prominent than other people but it is just bone. Your Dr is treating the symptoms, not the source of the pain. If you are looking to attack the source you need to talk to him about that, may not be possible/feesible but you should have that talk with your Dr or see another Dr for a second opinion.
    I was on nuerontin for over a year and didn't gain any wieght but didn't like the way I felt. It also didn't solve the problem I had with nueropathy.
    Good luck to you.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I had a cervical fusion on c3/c4 of the spine on 12/2009. After six months everything was almost normal except for the numbness of two fingers on my left hand. 3 days ago i started to get severe arm pain very similar to before my surgery. i've been to a urgent care center 3 different emergency rooms and no one could help me...i got flexeril, valiums, percocets 5/325mg and oxycodone 30mg, naprosyn, neurontin, two injection on my neck and NOTHING is helping me..the pain is so bad that i scream and yell and hope to die because i cant stand the pain...afraid to overdose cause the relief of taking these medications only last 30 minutes or so... doctors tell me that i have to live with this and learn how to ignore the pain...i dont and cannot live with this excruciating pain...I NEED HELP. Is there anything or anyone who could save me from this agony?
  • MRI was done, but as per doctors there is nothing wrong