Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How much pain Before Surgery?????????

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone :H .
I am just wondering for those of you that have had surgery already, how bad was the pain getting for you before you had it done? I am to see my surgeon on the 24th, and I am doing horrible :''( :''( :''( .
I hurt so bad, it is to the point where I can't stand long, or even sit. I do take pain meds, but they aren't working for crap.
I have a appt. with my pm doctor this month also. I have never felt so horrible in my life with this back of mine. The pain goes right down my left leg like someone is stabbing me over, and over along with the back pain :T .

There is nothing more the surgeonn can do but do a spinal fusion, and I am sure that is what is going to be asked to be approved after my appointment. I am so scared that even after surgery that I just might be worse. I am scared, and I just hurt so much. I was using a heating pad for awhile, but I have stopped wondering if that made it worse. It doesnt seem to have changed anything. I can't do ice, I get severe spasms.

Thanks for reading, any ideas or input on this would be so great. I am so glad that I can come here to talk. >:D<

• Do any of you use a cane at all? Does it help with walking????
  • I am sorry you are hurting so badly :(

yes I use a cane and it has helped take a lot of pressure off my bad side. I use it on my good side and put most of my body pressure in that direction.

However I know others who use the cane on their bad side to get relief. Try each one and see what works for you :hug:
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I was in similar pain before my surgery. I had a few days a week that the pain was manageabe but not many. I didn't find any meds to take the pain away but since the surgery my pain meds when I have to take them work pretty good. Good luck and I hope you find things that will ease the pain for you.
  • Yes I use a cane when I walk and it helps my leg especially. Ice after you walk and try heat later or a hot bath and maybe Epsom salts may help. Do you take a nerve pain like Cymbalta? Or Lyrica? I'm on both of them for leg pain and Oxycontin. I hope you get some relief soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Two herniated disks in my back, and at times the pain drops me to my knees! I'm trying to put off surgery as long as I am not chancing nerve damage. Mine is getting worse (or better yet changing), and I have been using a cane for a few months now due to a weak left leg. Does it help? Yes, as without it, I can't even go shopping with the hubby.

As for pain = surgery. Your body will know, it will know!! Then you will know! Sorry not much of an answer, but then again it is about the only one I know of. Surgery Heidi is a very personal decision between you and your surgeon. If damage isn't happening by holding off, your body will tell you "it's time!" I hope that helps.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    answered your own question .... When the pain is so bad ... that there is NO position of comfort .... medications don't or won't give an appropriate amount of relief .... heat and cold are just knobs in the shower - surgery becomes the next logical unwanted choice.

Warmest Regards and Best Wishes,

ps: Yes I use a cane on my "bad" leg - back side - I have a herniated L4-L5 with anular tear with extruded material (ruptured disk)in addition to my little neck problems pictured above.
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I thank you guys for writing to me. I am so down in the dumps, I feel useless. I have a lot of other health problems, but this is getting severe. I think that it is time for surgery to help myself. The discetomy didnt work, the injections, the idet, you name it. I got hurt in 2006. I am so sad that I have my children that see me in pain a lot.

I am very scared. I am scared that once I do get the surgery that I will be full of false hope. I am ready, my body feels ready, but I am feeling so not like myself. I want to clean the house, do the dishes. I want to be me, I want ME back. :W

I am thinking of starting to use a cane because when I go to bend at all, I have to have something to grab onto to get up or I am on the floor. I am afraid of others looking at me like I am faking. I had to go get grocerys with my husband today, and for the first time in my life I almost got a cart to drive around in. I just suffered. I couldn't do it. I have no desire to fake at all. I want to excercise again, ride a bike, play with the kids.

Okay, I am going on, and on. I am sorry. I am not on anything for nerve pain. I need to ask the doctor to give me something. I have tried lyrica, and it made me sick?! I am a weakling, lol.
    Thank you so much for reading. >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • i am still waiting for my third back surgery {this is not the done thing in the uk many consultants dont like to operate on someone else's work} pain before the first operation back in 1996 was bad but no where near what it is now .pain before the second operation was unbearable in the leg and in all firmness the leg pain has improved {but it is starting to come back} now i as i am waiting for operation number 3 ..the big one ..ALIF 3 levels .the lower back pain is beyond words .and i have just started with heel pain too.i am hoping that the operation ..as scary as its going to be will help with long term pain ..but there are no guarantees .,and yes sometime i use a walking stick .on bad days { i dont like to use one as i feel even older than i am ..but at least it should prevent me from falling..i rarely go any where now due to lack of sleep {3 hours a night if i am lucky} and constant pain}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hiya, Sorry that you have so much pain! >:D< I was wondering if you had ever tried a tens machine? :?

Angie :H
  • I have used a tens machine, it didn't help much at all.
  • I have used a tens machine, it didn't help much at all.
  • Anyone that goes through surgery has all the same thoughts and fears that you have right now. I think it all boils down to quality of life. Can you carry on living with the pain you have now if no amount of medication helps to take it away? I wouldn't think so.

I was in the same boat as you. I was absolutely terrified about having the fusion surgery. I had loads of questions, which thankfully my surgeon answered truthfully. There were no gaurantees that I would be pain-free afterwards, but the surgery has been successful in stabilising my spine and has removed the pain I was experiencing from the discs (which have both been removed).

My main problem with the pain was not being able to do anything that I wanted to. I was constantly on strong medication which affected my ability to concentrate and left me tired most of the time. Also, after working a full day, all I was fit for was coming home, lying on the floor, going to bed just so that I would be fit enough to go back to work the next day - and so the cycle continued. I couldn't do anything too strenuous at the weekends (like gardening which I really enjoyed) because it would affect my ability to return to work on Monday. I couldn't participate in some social activities with my family/friends because I was worried that it could make my back pain even worse. The list goes on and on.

Ultimately, it was the amount of pain I was in that made up my mind to have the operation, plus the fact that I was told the pain would only get worse as I got older.

You need to fully discuss the pro's and con's of having fusion surgery with your surgeon. Ask him/her what they think your realistic outcome would be (accepting there are no gaurantees). Make sure he/she has done this surgical procedure numerous times with successful percentages. Ask if they run a support group where other people attend who have had the same surgery so you can discuss your concerns with them (I found this invaluable as all the people were supportive and understanding). Discuss everything with your family/friends, making sure you have a few people who could help support you after the operation.

Let us know how you get on.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Thank you for your input. I will for sure be discussing all of the questions I have about surgery. I also have the fear of doing a lot of things due to the pain. Today I did cleaning, and told myself that I HAD to do it!!!! No giving up!!!!
  • In a nutshell, I still have some pain, but it is greatly reduced from before surgery (I had ALIF). I have a lot more mobility than before surgery, which is huge. Would I do it again? Yes. Like you, my quality of life was greatly diminished and conservative treatments did absolutely nothing for me. I couldn't see many more years of that type of life. Nor could I see subjecting my family to me living that kind of life.

It's a tough decision; practice at the very least in your head (if not with your hubby) your conversation with the surgeon. That helps me a lot when anticipating conversations with my medical care providers.

For me, it's not quite what I had hoped. But it's a heckuva lot better than it was.
  • Doll we all get like that and feel that way! and as for feeling like you again! YOUR ALWAYS YOU DOLL!....IF YOU LET THE PAIN TAKE CONTROL IT WINS! i know its hard to do things and there are days when ya can't oh well cant dwell on it! you do what you can and thats it!.......

I also had discetomy that didn't work we tried all teh injections even taking part of faucet joint out! nothing! had alif nov 1 st not 100% yet but im at 60% and thats more than i had before surgey! and lil by lil I'm getting my life back! you had made a comment about your kids seeing you in pain they will one day see how strong there mommy was and all she did for me!....

gf im 39 and use a cane when i need to it helps me get out of chair couch and get you a grabber they work wonders where all here for you if you need to talk chat grab one of us know one knows what this is like till they go thru it! KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND BE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS YOU!!!!!.....I PRAY THAT YOU WILL BE OUT PAIN SOON!....

GOD DOSENT GIVE US ANYTHING WE CAN'T HANDLE WHERE THE STRONG ONES HUN!....i know i sound like a book but it's what gets me thru this for the past 6 years hugssssssssssssssssss doll
  • YELLOW your so right!...alif gave me parts of my life back! and lil by lil ill get some more of it back! some improvment is better than nothing!
  • there is a better bit of kit you can try its called acticare .it is a TENS but high quality and its an external spinal cord stimulator ..i have one and its very good .for more information see there site
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I see my surgeon next thursday, and I am sure that we will be trying to get surgery schedualed. I have a lot of other health problems also. I am also in the process of being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I also have alot of issues with my stomach. At 31, I feel VERY old!!!!! I try my best, that is all I can do. I am so very glad that I have you guys O:)