Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WARNING
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval
ATTENTION: All NEW MEMBERS
1) Your first discussion or comment needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

Headache after surgery

CherylCCheryl Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I recently had a microdiscectomy on February 24, 2011. I had a large herniated disc protrusion at L4L5 compressing my nerve. I suffered with severe pain for 2 years after having epidurals and taking a lot of ibuprofen only for the herniation to get so much worse after bronchitis. The surgery went great, I felt really well and then only the 14th day after surgery I passed out. Probably a drop in blood pressure or sugar level, however ever since that episode I have a dull headache that won't go away.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? maybe it's from laying too much, because I try not to sit so I don't put pressure on my lower back.

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Cheryl and welcome. I have not had the surgery and have never had your problem, but thought that I would welcome you to Spine-health.
  • I would call your doctor and tell them about the headache. It could be from pain medicine you are taking.
  • Howdy and Welcome to Spine Health!! Glad to hear you're feeling better since your surgery, but a bit concerned about the 'passing' out episode. Any undetermined episodes like that, I would be with my GP yesterday!! It most likely will be found as stress or medication induced, but unconsciousness with no known cause is a red flag, and a doctor really should be consulted in my opinion.

Please let us know how it goes.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you for your input, I am going to go to my GP this week, my surgeon seems to think it may be vasovagal, maybe from BP or sugar. I am not taking any pain meds, which is unbelievable after the amount of meds I took for 2 years leading up to the surgery. I have some discomfort and no pain, so the headaches can't be from that. I am also have nausea. Unfortunately I am in the process of changing doctors to find one more convenient, so I have to wait a few days for an appointment.

Thanks for your thoughts
  • I wonder if your headaches might be from not taking all the meds like before?....kind of a withdrawal? I hope you get to the bottom of your issue soon. Feel better each day and take it easy
  • Cheryl,

Glad to see you do have an appointment. Hopefully he/she will be able to put your mind at ease, and too give some insight as to the headaches. If this helps?

I was having massive headaches upon waking to the point I couldn't move. At that time I was sleeping flat on my back, or flat on my side. As an experiment I bought a moderate angled wedge pillow and wow, huge difference the very first night I slept with it. I no longer sleep flat, and *most* of the times now if I do have a headache when I wake, it's an Aspirin fixed one!

A tiny bit of background. I had fusions C5/6/7 and the fusion area now has complications (see history), and too herniated at C2/3 (9mm). I think for me, laying flat put pressure or stress on my neck such that I got headaches - I say that since just changing my sleeping angle made all the difference.

Thoughts and energy heading your way that your appointment yields informative results!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I experienced an horrendous headache the night after my ALIF which continued for several days. My surgeon seemed confounded by it, but he kept me in the hospital an extra night. Now I have had 2 separate incidents that I can only attribute to low blood sugar. My appetite has not recovered from surgery so I am not eating well. While I haven't fainted I have gotten very shaky, my pulse increases and I get very queasy. Today when it happened again I drank some cranberry juice & forced down a cookie. Immediately I felt better. Later I was able to eat some crackers & cheese. The episode reoccurred later & responded to the same juice etc. I immediately called my pain doctor who essentially sent word that this was a result of discontinuing oxycontin last week. That I should be feeling better in a couple of days. I don't think so. I'm calling all my docs & nurse case manager in the morning until someone gives me a better explanation. In the meantime I'm snacking and am keeping juice and peppermints close at hand. I'll keep you posted.
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
  • Thanks for all the input, just to let you know I did go to my primary doctor and looking at my blood results she feels I fainted because of low blood sugar. With all the back pain before surgery and recovering after I wasn't eating too much and my sugar went low. The doctor suggested that I eat even a bite of some protein every few hours.
    After surgery have any of you still experienced some leg pain? Believe me it's not bad and they told me it will probably go away, but when?
advertisement