Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pinched nerve for 2 years will it ever heal? Docs say so

dax0007ddax0007 Posts: 66
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, 2 years ago I was diagnoise as having a herniated disc pushing on the left side of my nerve root( i think c5-c6)..Basicaly i was in a car accident and this gave me a stiff neck for 4 months.. then it got better if not perfect, i then started to work out again and helped a friend hammer in some post.. well i did some hammering in the next day i woke up with massive amount of left arm pain from my shoulder to forearm and my neck was stiff too.. so thats when i went to a nuero.. He said surgery was not a option and it will get better.. well after another 4 months of horrible arm pain it did get better but just managable.. so here i am 2 years later and though i am not in constant pain if i do pushups or bench press or anything that puts more than normal amount of stress on my neck my left arms hurts.. Am i doomed forever? I mean its been 2 years since the accident

• Have you ever had any physical therapy or anything to treat the symptom other than waiting? I'm not sure pushups or bench pressing is the way to go, but it seems like you could benefit from having a physical therapist who worked with you on stretching and even maybe light traction to give that nerve some room to breathe. Wonder if your family physician could offer you some options. That's where I started and he took steps to get me into physical therapy and it did help me for a long time.
  • Hello Honeymom:o) Thx for the advise.. I did do PT for only a few weeks cause it made me feel worse and the neck tractions was horrible atleast for me.. Maybe i should do it again.. I was thinking about having another CERVIAL MRI to compare, but I am afraid to find out more bad news... My neck gets stiff, then it losens, or if I do something fairly heavy duty it will get stiff and my left arm will hurt... Massage therpy definatly does WONDERS!! But the neck traction and neck exercises made it feel worse.. Maybe I should have given it more of a chance?

• Everyone is different, but I do think you have to work up to a level with that stretching that may make you hurt worse at first, then you might see some improvement. I would definitely do it only under the guidance of a good physical therapist though.
    Hope things will start looking up for you soon! I can certainly sympathize with your pain. PT was a Godsend for me once they figured out what helped and I avoided surgery for a long time because of it.
  • I have a pinched nerve in my neck and it's having all sorts of horrible effects. Plus I am still recovering from multiple ankle fractures from last year.I have contacted from a good chiropractor and then i got some relief.

Edited by Tamtam doctors names and facilities are not permitted on the site.
  • I think Chiros are great IF YOU dont have spinal stneosis and DDD.. I wont go to them because of this..