Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain after surgery?

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 16 days post op TLIF on L3-4 and L4-5. Although I have had significant surgical pain, it appeared that my original pain had disappeared. Today, however, I walked much further than I have since my surgery, and I am feeling my old pain again. Is this normal? Has anyone else had experience with this? I am a little frustrated that I perhaps went through surgery for nothing. Any insight would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• Im not a dr. and cant tell you what is wrong but sounds like to me you over did it its only been 16 days! your pushing yorself and your body is saying no way! You just had MAJOR SURGERY!!! this is a slow recovery and lil bbay steps for now! i hope this helps and i hope you get out of pain! hugssssssssssssss
  • I think you are right. It has been relieved with rest, however I am really starting to struggle with nerve pain. I have bad nerve pain in my hips which is not helped by pain meds. They are very sensitive if you even lightly touch them. My hips seem to be getting worse rather than better.It's very frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem? I also have tingling and irritation down my right leg.
  • i too was worried after my last operation and i went back to the hospital but was told to go home and take pain killers .unfortunately my pain got worse and 4 years later {and many trips to the doctors/pain clinics/MRI//XRAY/CAT scans epidurals and facet joint injections etc .unfortunately my pain never got any better and now i need a 3 level ALIF fusion .BUT this doesnt happen to everyone so dont worry ..just take little steps and rest take your pain killers and if you are worried go and see you doctor .you have just have major surgery and it will take a LONG time to get better .but if in doubt see medical help .you will know if you need medical help .but just remember that things will hurt and if your pain killers aren't doing it for you then ask your doctor to give you something stronger .in 2011 you should not be in so much pain .hope this helps
    t
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I had a herniated disc at L5/S1 which was irritated the sciatic nerve down my right leg. I had surgery this past August 2010. I may have done too much too soon (I'm a fitness instructor and pilates teacher). The nerve pain came back starting high up by my sacrum. I was sent to pain management and had two epidural steroid injections. Now I'm having numbness in my right leg and tingling down the left! Next step is another MRI and we'll see.
    Every case is different and nerves take a LONG time to heal. I found Advil liqui-gels helped with the inflammation better than any prescription they gave me. I also found that wine makes the inflammation worse (my own experience). My advice is to do exactly what the doc says even if it seems silly and keep a daily log of the pain so you can tell your doctor exactly what is happening.
    Good luck to you!!
  • hi
    I'm on day 16 after my op and i too have nerve damage... my buttocks and groins are so sensitive to touch...but the other thing is i cant feel anything from my waiste down on my left sode ( my surgeon knows as he caused it) but its still sensive on the skin how weird is that

H
  • I wish I knew the terminology for what I had done, all I can say is they replaced 4 or 5 discs in my back (which they took out of my hips). I have a cut on each hip on belly and 2 days later they cut my back in order to put in the tinker toys (what they looked like on the x-ray) that was Oct 12 and 14. I was never relieved of pain. I hurt worst than before my surgery. I went back March 4 2011 and he removed the hardware from my back, I STILL HURT! I am supposed to go back to him April 19, I only hope I can walk without pain by then.

My doctor kept telling me to walk walk walk, it was all I could do to get to the bathroom much less,,, walk walk walk. My hips hurt so badly not to mention the pain in my buttock and pain down my right leg causing my foot to go to sleep (very irritating) I certainly hope you heal much quicker than I have. by the way, pain pills have not helped me whatsoever.
advertisement