Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RFA/Rhizotomy after several cervical surgeries and chiari

cabbyccabby Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, Getting ready to go in for a RFA Rhizotomy for 5 nerves in cervical. I have 2 cages and a plate currently, have had 4 disk surgeries and a chiari in the last 8 years. I am exhausted and my pain level is usually so bad I don't even feel like leaving the house to see a movie. I'm tired of pain meds and can't sleep without valiuum, otherwise I can't get up in the morning because I move around to much at night, if I get any sleep at all. I have decided to go ahead with the rhizotomy after having 4 nerve blocks, that gave me relief for about 24 hours each one. I'm scared of being in more pain from the procedure, I don't know if I can handle it. I have been researching Cervical Disk Replacement to see if there are any Doctors in the states, preferrably MI that would do full disk replacements for me, with absolutely no movemen left in my neck, I am useless. I have to rest my head every half hour and I am just so tired!!! Anyone out there heard anything about full disk replacement or the requirements? I have looked into an oversees program and am thinking of going this route, whatever the cost I don't give a crap anymore. I am only 38 and I can't be "this" the rest of my life, I need movement back.

• Sorry to hear of your constant suffering.

Welcome to Spine Health, you will find a wealth of info on the forum as well as wonderful people who like you live in a world of chronic pain. You will also find lots of support here and I'm sure there are members who have similar Spine issues as you, who may be able to offer more advice then I can. You are in the right place!

Your are so young and my heart goes out to you. I too suffer from not being able to sleep and not only is it physically draining but the mental aspect is awful. Sleep is so important for heeling to take place. Have you spoken with doc about sleep aids?

As far as disc replacement in the US I understand it is done very conservatively, I believe one level only and I think to be considered you can't have other spinal issues. (But again, I am not sure - it's good you are researching) I have read that in UK & Europe they do up to three levels. With your existing fusions, I'm not sure what your options are.

There are many threads & articles on this website about disc replacement you can search using the search option on the upper right corner.

Good luck with your up coming procedure and I hope you find some relief!