Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Falling asleep in a chair

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in Chronic Pain
Does this happen to anybody else?

I so rarely fall asleep anywhere but my bed, my glorious, comfy, sleep number bed - I get sleepy, but am always able to get myself upstairs and into my bed before I fall asleep.

Last night hubby and I were watching Band of Brothers and we were having a couple of cocktails. We had a late lunch, so we didn't bother with dinner. So I fell asleep in my recliner, but not in the reclined position, so my head was forward. My hubby only let me stay in that postion for an hour before he woke me up to go to bed, but this morning...OMG, OUCHY!

Have you ever done that? Fallen asleep in a position you really, really shouldn't and have major pain to deal with the next day?

I've really got to watch that - I think sleeping in the proper position is imperative, don't even fall asleep in the wrong position for an hour or you pay dearly for it the next day.

Ouchy.
Cath
advertisement

Comments

• its even worse if the rooms hot .so your mouth dries out ..yuk!!
    tx
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I've been frozen to the couch a few times that way. :jawdrop: :))( Not funny!
  • sometimes tiredness overcomes me so quickly that I fall asleep. It can be anything from 10 minutes to one and a half hours (depending on the rubbish nights' sleep I've had the night before). It's the worse possible thing to do because I'm normally adopting a bad posture at the time! I do pay for it afterwards by having increased back pain, but there's not much I can do about it really.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Cath,

That is the falling asleep when you say "I should get up and go to bed", oh just a few more minutes and I will, and then bam you a sleep. Then wake up and I think why didn't I get up and go to bed? Which is why I always watch TV in the horizontal position as for some reason TV puts me to sleep. Now waking up from sleeping in the wrong position, I have done. But that has more to do with the pain was so bad I fought a position in my sleep and must of been the position I found the pain the least in. Just my body didn't say hey that is going to hurt tomorrow. But, you are correct sleeping posture is so important.
  • Hi; thats the "chin on the chest" position. Yup been there done that. Neck muscles are definitely sore after that.

But thats still better then falling a sleep with the head back and the mouth open. That's a kodak moment.
  • Cath,

I've fallen asleep sitting at the kitchen table! What got me was I *had* what I thought was restful sleep the night before, so it didn't make sense that I snoozed for a bit at the table. Recently I had my "sitting up nap" and my head was leaning forward; I had a heck of a time getting my head back up! I've never had that happen - the next day, "ouchy" was the way of the day!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • And I hate that too! I always say it feels like that show the "Million dollar man" that noise they made when he took off, but mine is me trying to move and it zings like that noise and it hurts so damn bad. I hate that! I always try to get to the ole' sleep number beforehand too but every once in a while I'll fall asleep on the couch or recliner and ya, you definately pay for it.
  • I'm glad it's not just me. It happens so rarely, but when it does, yuck.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched my husband fall asleep on the couch, with his head alternately falling forward and then backward with his mouth open, kind of like a bobbing dog but worse. Sometimes it would even fall sideways! I took a movie of it once, but he wasn't too happy about it. LOL It makes my neck hurt just watching him, so I always put a pillow behind his head and push his head down in there so it'll stay put.

• Cathie,

Your comment about your hubby 'flashed' me back to one of my hubby's naps. We were out to eat with a couple of friends, and while waiting for our meals to come to the table, my conversation with one of my friends was umm...errr..loudly interrupted - by loud snoring!

My hubby was sitting there with his arms crossed, head back, mouth open, and snoring happily! (G) In a restaurant!!! I wish we had smart phones back then! Hehehehe...

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • cath
    the worse thing that happened to me was i was at work on the computer during a lunch break and the next thing i knew i fell asleep at the computer and missed going to a room for a presentation i walked in and said i was in the bathroom
    a little white lie i guess is not too bad
    i usually don't believe in lying but saying i fell asleep would not go over too well. its those meds that put me to sleep. in fact at work i will be reading a story and have a nano nap and tell the kids i was thinking of something. good thing my eyes were not closed
    jonnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
    whoops did it again, fell asleep while writing my name
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Being a passenger in a car is the worst for me, instant sleep!! Head forward, back, but to the side is the worst!! At christmas time, we went to visit my grandmother, a 2 hour drive. I was sitting in the front of the car, my mom in the back with my nieces. She at some point actually put a sweater between my head and the car door to try to save my neck some strain, it helped but not by much. I hate it when that happens!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    Cath, I can not tell you how many times I have fallen asleep in the wrong positions.

When I first joined Spine-Health, I used to get into CHAT nightly (Tamtam remembers) and we would be chatting for hours. So many times, I would wake up around 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning, CHAT opened, no one else around, but my hands still on the keyboard.

Like Kelly, put me in a passenger seat and I am out in minutes. Come to think of it, that happens even when I am driving!

Falling asleep in positions we know are not good, can really you make you sore the next day.
    One of my biggest problems is that I 'dont' give in to falling asleep, I want to watch that one more movie, watch more on Food Network, etc. But then I fall asleep without watching any of the above
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.