Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusion in my future

hotcoffee29hhotcoffee29 Posts: 327
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been away from spine health for a while, but no away from pain! However I hope all that remember me are doing well.

I do have a few questions for those of you who have been through fusions. I have had 2 surgeries at L5-S1 and my problems have continued to deteriorate. I no have terrible hip pain which I have been told is coming from my back and my only hope at this point is now the fusion. The good news is that I am only dealing with one level. I have spent the last 2 summers having surgery and it looks like this will be the third!!

Well I was curious if any of you new about the PYRAMID Anterior Lumbar Plate? I have consulted with a new Orthopedic Surgeon with a wonderful reputation and he sat with me along time explaining the different types of fusions and he says this is the best. He will go in through the stomach and use this pyramid plate and it avoide all the large pedicle screws and the hardware will never have to be replaced, he said recovery is faster and it provides more stability in the back therefore reducing the amount of pain in the future. He doesn't believe I have bursitis in my hip as he says my pain follows the sciatic nerve and until I fix my back, my hip pain and leg pain won't improve. He said my L5-S1 level has completely degenerated and no injections or therapy is going to fix it. SSo just looking for any personal experience or thoughts?

I have a quick update for those who recall my circumstances, I am flying back to England on the 23rd to visit my mum, her lung cancer is getting worse and we don't know how much time she has so I am flying back to see her over my spring break, my mother-in-law will stay home with my children and I will be away for my daughters sweet 16th birthday which is hurting me. My dad died at the end of January and I was unable to fly home then so I missed his funeral too, it's been a very difficult year. Last June it was my granny, now my dad and my mum is dying and my grandad at 90 years old seems to be hanging on the strongest!! This will be a difficult trip for me but I just want to spend some quality time with my mum.

I am sure my stress contributes to my pain levels and some of the other things going on. I am also in the care of a cardiologist as I am having serious issues with tachycardia and she is putting me through all these tests, I am sure it will come out ok, the beta blockers seem to help, and because of everything else I seriously doubt my recent fibromyalgia diagnosis too!!!! I take one day at a time, I hope once I get through this trying time in my life, my health will improve and I can get back to my old self, and despite all this I still go to work every day!!! I am super woman, lol

Love and best wishes to all, thanks for letting me vent and unload some of the stress I am carrying around these days.

• I don't know anything about the type of fusion you are asking about. I just wanted to express my sympathies about your losing your grandmother and father, and now having to face losing your mother. And all within less than a year. Add to that your medical problems and the usual daily frustrations and I can understand why you are so stressed. I really admire your positive attitude.

I have a "guided imagery" relaxation CD that is very good and helps me relax. You might try one of those. I tried a few different ones before I found one I really liked. I will PM you with the name of the one I use.

PS. Don't forget to get up and walk around some while you are on your flight to England. The last thing you need is a DVT.