Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Problems from Medtronic Stimulator?

JeanetteJJeanette Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I had my permanent stimulator put in last Monday. Everything is going great! Pain decreased by about 90%! All this is wonderful, but last night I had this sensation of a tightness in both wrists. I looked down and on the inside of both wrists, there was this blackness. I apparently have had vein burst in both at the same time. I have been advised to turn off my stimulator untill I go in Wednesday to get staples out.

I really hope I get to keep my stimulator. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Thanks in advance for any posts.
advertisement

Comments

• I haven't ever heard of this - but am very excited you are getting so much relief from your stim. Is it in your neck then? Do your wrists hurt?

I'm sure others will sound off too, but we will be curious about what conditions lead you to get a stimulator, how your trial went, etc.

Best-
    Mack
  • There's a lot of data that shows how neurostimulation can actually increase blood flow in certain situations. What you are describing sounds pretty weird and I will be interested to hear what the doc has to say. I'm wondering if it is from IV sticks associated with your surgery instead of anything caused by the stimulator itself. Or if it is from restraints used during surgery. I remember them positioning my arms and then securing them so I would move. Many many thoughts as to what it may be from. Please keep us informed.

Glad to hear that you are getting such great relief. Is it for cervical or lumbar problems? Would like to hear your story of what led up to you getting an SCS. We are all learning so much from the experiences of others, it would be great to get more insight from your experiences.

Welcome to Spine Health,

"C"
  • I had my IV on the back of my hand and if they tied my arms during surgery, I didn't know it. I was completely knocked out.

My pain is in my lumbar, hips, and down each leg, even to the big toe.

As of now, my pain dr. is saying to keep it turned off untill tomorrow when I go back to his office to get the staples pulled. At that time, they hope to hear something back from Medtronics about this unusual situation.

I surely hope it has nothing to do with it, as I am having such relief using it.

I have had it turned off the last 2 days and thi pain is again unbearable. I have entertained the thought of turning it back on, but am afraid to untill I get the go-ahead.

Keep me in your thoughts and if anyone has anything more, I would welcome anything.
  • Of blood "leakage" do not necessarily show where the damage has occurred.
    It is very possible that the combination of needle sticks and being tied could be the reason for the leakage.

I know that with each of my progressively worse shoulder surgeries I turned black, Blue, purple and even a really disturbing green color a long way from the surgery sites.

With any luck you are just seeing the aftermath of the surgery and all will be well. I hope so anyway.

90% relief is great!
  • It's also possible for some of the medications put in through the IV can cause problems. I ended up with drug induced vasculitis after my last surgery (mid-February) and one of my hands was so swollen and sore, I started to wonder if they had somehow managed to break my wrist while positioning me for the surgery :o but that didn't make any sense because my other hand was also swollen and sore, just to a lesser degree.

I've never had that happen before, so my doctor went through my records to determined what drugs were used during that surgery compared to previous surgeries and listed the 2 drugs he found as allergies, just to insure they're never given to me again.

• Well, I went to my Dr. today. Had staples out, got new programs, and a nice visit with the Medtronic Tech. They don't seem to know why I had these veins burst in both wrists (at the same time). I haven't had anymore episodes of that, thank goodness.

The general thinking was to not worry about it. My unit is now back on and I am loving it. I just hope nothing more comes again like this.

As of right now, my pain is very tolerable. I wish everyone had the same results that I am having.

Thanks to you all that answered my question. You are the nicest and most caring people!
  • That is wonderful news!
  • Not fully programmed. Just not working well. I have lots of hardware in my back and hips and it just doesn't seem to reach where I need it. I have had 2 fusions, elbow and hips replaced. Do you think it might work better when I get the rest of the programs?? I am truly out of gas. Does recharging your battery at your site still hurt? I'm so excited for all of you who have found relief.

• I got my Stimulator on December 10th 2012. Before even the recovery period was finished one of my leads failed. so my dr and the medtronic rep decided to just turn that side off and use just 1 lead to avoid another surgery before i have even recovered from the first one. Then at about 11 months after my surgery my stimulation started jumping up and down on it's own. i would just turn it on and it would get weaker and stronger without me touching the remote. and right about 1 year after surgery it stopped working and taking a charge. My Dr told me that Medtronic will not pay to replace this obviously faulty equipment. Has anyone come across 1 or more or all of these problems? this thing works very well when it's working, but am i going to have to go through this surgery every year to keep it working? Can anybody give me any answers at all?
  • TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 02/09/2014 - 10:12 AM
    no, but Im getting so disillusioned with Medtronic. Beginning to understand why the reps wont read this site or forum. I have met people here who I THOUGHT had faulty equipment paid for by the manufacturer, do not know which one???
  • Diane LoganDDiane Logan Posts: 2
    edited 02/28/2015 - 9:34 PM
    Jeanette said:
    I had my permanent stimulator put in last Monday. Everything is going great! Pain decreased by about 90%! All this is wonderful, but last night I had this sensation of a tightness in both wrists. I looked down and on the inside of both wrists, there was this blackness. I apparently have had vein burst in both at the same time. I have been advised to turn off my stimulator untill I go in Wednesday to get staples out.

I really hope I get to keep my stimulator. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?
    Had the Medtronic implanted last week and ready to tell them to throw it into the garbage. Its rechargeable battery instructions (actually a tech nerds dream) or the device itself does not work and the 24/7 available aid only exists on week-days. I will not go through this aggravation for the rest of my life. Better off going through the high risk surgery that I was told was my last resort.

Thanks in advance for any posts.
    Diane
  • I have yet to connect with anyone who has under gone the Stimulation leads positioned at Cervical level. Please respond if so. I'd like to know about your experience :)

Thank you!
    1996 - C4-5, C5-6 Fusions
    2010 - Medtronic Cervical SCS (leads implanted at C-2)
    2010 - SCS went AWRY :( .
    2011 - SCS REMOVED :)
    2011 - SEID
    Please......Do not agree to CERVICAL SCS w/o researching outcomes.
    God Bless you :)

• Good Morning,
    I had my stimulator put in a year ago. Within the last few months it seems my pain is worsening and not getting better. I have a lot of pain around the battery sight. Has anyone else experienced that and if so did you ever figure out what was causing it.. I met with my Medtronics rep last week who reprogrammed my battery and it feels better but it is still really painful around battery. Ver anxious to know if I am the only one. Thanks. Michelle
  • nowasober1 said:
    Good Morning,
    I had my stimulator put in a year ago. Within the last few months it seems my pain is worsening and not getting better. I have a lot of pain around the battery sight. Has anyone else experienced that and if so did you ever figure out what was causing it.. I met with my Medtronics rep last week who reprogrammed my battery and it feels better but it is still really painful around battery. Ver anxious to know if I am the only one. Thanks. Michelle
    I just had mine put in 3 months ago, I notice I had aching pain and when I go to the gym or do too much walking etc I have pain. If I sit for too long I also have pain. ... I was hoping this was all just because I was healing, but it sounds like I could have the same issue you are having :(
  • rlgibson78rrlgibson78 Posts: 1
    edited 09/07/2015 - 8:51 AM
    I had the trial put in on Friday, it is scheduled to be removed tomorrow on Tuesday. My relief from the SCS has been excellent, so I anticipate having the full SCS surgery scheduled within the next couple weeks. Mine is for pain mainly in my left foot after multiple surgeries and many failed injections. I will keep you all updated with how the surgery and stim go's.

Robert

Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
  • I am so tired of not getting much relief from my stimulator. I am seriously thinking about just having it taken out. It is frustrating the hell out of me. Takes me forever to get it to charge. I have a rechargeable battery. With all the other health issues (I just fell and fractured my pelvic and sacrum plus lots more back issues) Seeing a new doctor this week and really am hoping he will take it out for me. When I first put it in it was wonderful but not anymore.
  • JacriJJacri Posts: 1
    edited 09/11/2015 - 7:51 PM
    have had stimulator for 3 years. The thing shorts out all the time! I turn it on and all of a sudden it jumps to a very high shock and/or it turns off completely! I read that there were some leads that were recalled. Does anyone know how to find out what leads are defective. Does anyone else have problems with there device?

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • Jacri said:
    have had stimulator for 3 years. The thing shorts out all the time! I turn it on and all of a sudden it jumps to a very high shock and/or it turns off completely! I read that there were some leads that were recalled. Does anyone know how to find out what leads are defective. Does anyone else have problems with there device?

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage

I found this on recalls, but if you had a recall for yours, they should have called you. I dont know if this will help you, you can always try calling medtronic as well, Or just searching online for recalls. I think this one said it was from 2013, you may be able to search the website for any other recalls. You could also try calling your Drs office maybe? I would imagine any recall information would be sent to them as well. Hope this helps you
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfRes/res.cfm?id=122448
  • Why hasn't my comment been posted 
  • Is this still a active website 
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,677
    edited 07/13/2016 - 9:28 AM
    debbiev222

Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
    Please click on the link for useful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

• DianeSS42DDianeSS42 VirginiaPosts: 2
    I had the leads placed for lumbar pain and while they didn't  help my back much, the cervical pain was all but gone including the knot (trigger point) and pain my left shoulder and my neurosurgeon told me thought I would die still having that knot (he had injected it multiple times) and pain.
    However I would not have done it at all if I had known the leads would eventually corrode (does anyone know what they are made of? copper?) and the resulting surgery would leave me with almost complete disability.
    I really did not have much of an option since I cannot take pain meds (no opiates at all) - Ultram with Doxepin is my only pain relief and I have had 9 surgeries using no opiates.
    Even my neurosurgeon could not answer my ?'s why the stimulator was working better for thoracic and cervical pain than for the lumbar pain (stenosis from C2 - L? (rods and pins for stability), but it did although when I would turn it up for dental work, my legs would stick straight out in the air! 
    The nervous system will never tell all its secrets!
  • DianeSS42DDianeSS42 VirginiaPosts: 2
    I have to admit my stimulator was a life saver for any pain, including dental (I am terrified of the dentist), for many years but when it went bad - it went VERY bad and has left me with pain worse than I ever thought about having, even in natural labor, and an inability to stand more than 10 minutes without assistance.
    Not sure how many years I had it, but it was awhile and I used it only when I could not bear the pain a minute longer, and it worked fairly well - a knot (trigger point) the size of a large orange in my left shoulder disappeared with the pain so I no longer had to have injections there. 
    I had it put in after being dx with Cervical Degeneration Disease and multiple fusions with a titanium plate - but then my back began to bother me, and I was dx with a herniated disk - surgery went well and the burning pain down my leg was gone when I woke up from anesthesia. 
    However soon the pain was back and I was dx with spinal stenosis - cervical, lumbar, etc - all of my spine was involved and soon the stimulator was not working. I want to add that this was my major pain relief since I cannot tolerate ANY opiate pain meds and have had 9 surgical procedures without, but the stimulator really helped for those I had after it was implanted. 
    However, about 3 years ago it began not to work - I had it checked and it was not the battery, but it would work only rarely, so my university surgeon and I agreed that the inability not to have MRI available was not worth keeping a device that no longer worked. He thought that removal would be in and out and overnight stay only because of age and complications I have had in the past, but, of course he warned me it not be that simple. I know that all the bad things that can happen are pointed out but never did i believe it would happen! But I woke up in the worst pain ever imaginable! I could not move any part of my body without screaming and learned that evening that the leads had been CORRODED and that it took over 3 1/2 hrs for a team of surgeons to pick the pieces out with a periodical x-ray to see if they were all gone. Four days later my surgeon wanted me to go to rehab since the pain was unbearable but I just wanted to go home to die! Even with a bedside commode, it would take me over an hour just to get up the nerve to use it - the foot that felt like 1000 miles. I had in-home nursing and PT for four months and now I cannot stand for more than 10 minutes without support and incredible pain. I don't have too many years left since I am in my early 70's but the quality of my life is forever changed by having had the *(&(^0 machine put in the first place! I would be much better off I had not never done it. Now I can no longer drive, cannot stand long, cannot do any of the physical jobs that gave me such pleasure - no garden - no cooking etal. 
    When I called Medtronic about sending the stimulator remote back to them, so others might have a 'free' remote if they lost one, they asked me where the stimulator was that was inside of me! I told them I imagined that UVA had thrown it away with the corroded leads!
    Think twice, read this several times and ask if pain relief is worth a lifetime disability.
advertisement