Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Too inject or not too inject.

nowwhat44nnowwhat44 Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Spinal Injections
Hey, you guys have seen me on here the last week since my diagnosis of arthritic steonis at the l4/5 level, caused by having a fusion at the l5/s1 level 4 years ago. Even though my stenosis is moderate/severe I am able to manage the pain with advil twice a day and ice/heat. I exercise on a stationary bike, stretch and do PT strengthening every day. I have a follow up with my doc in 5 weeks and he said at that point we can maybe schedule injections. I will ask him these questions as well but just want to hear from others experience. Should I even consider the steroid injections if my pain is manageable with meds? Does the fact I have less pain despite the mod/severe condition mean I am a good candidate for them? I have heard they can either not work, work for short period or in some cases a long time, true? just want to hear other experiences with the steroid injections. I have accepted I will likely need another fusion down the road and if it works like the first that will be ok because the 1st fusion worked great except for causing the arthritis. But i want to put that off as long as possible, especially since I am in school and planning on moving this summer.

• I certainly wouldn't get ESIs if my pain were being managed with OTC medication, heat and ice. I would put off any injections until the pain worsened and save that treatment for down the road, but that's just my opinion. ESIs have risk factors and if you were to weight the risks vs. benefits, I just would not see the injections as being beneficial at this time. It's great that you are exercising, that is probably adding to your comfort level rather than sitting around getting more stiff. Good on you for that!!
  • I am glad I got the diagnosis before it go so bad I could not exercise. I know staying active as possible is key to keeping my healthy and pain free for as long as possible. Hopefully I can avoid surgery down the road but not likely. Any links to the risks?
  • We can't post links here that may lead to solicitation, but there is a wealth of information on the use of ESIs out there. I'm not saying to never get one and I have had many myself, just that you asked a question and based on your own words;
    Even though my stenosis is moderate/severe I am able to manage the pain with advil twice a day and ice/heat.
    ... I would not go the route of ESIs if my pain was under control.