Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scared and nervous

firefighterffirefighter Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Last June while doing a routine fire drill our three inch feed line to the truck blew a hole in it I was the unlucky one I got hit on the left side of my neck I've had 2 MRI 1ct and 1 Xray. I also been through 4 weeks of pt with no luck I finally seen a pain management Dr done several injection still with no luck I'm going to see a neurosurgern in April. The Dr's say I have 2 bulgeing disc 1 slipped disc a protusion between c5nc6 and perched facet I'm still young scared of what the outcome will be.

• I need sum feedback on what to lookout for or anything to help me out
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Jeauxbert or haglandc or Administrators tamtam, dave or DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team Neck of Steel or Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    We have a couple of fireman on this site. Some of them have returned to some of the duties they had prior to surgery.

It is perfectly natural to be scared about the thought of any surgery. Spinal surgeries have come a long was in the last 10 to 15 years. When I had my first lumbar surgery in 1978, my hospital stay was almost 2 weeks and I had to wear a back brace for 6 months. Today, many lumbar surgeries can get the patient out in a couple of days and back to work very quickly.

I had great success with two of my ACDF surgeries. Overall I have more strength in my neck as compared to how my back is after 4 surgeries. The fusion on the neck helped with the stability, but at the same time, there was some loss of range of motion and flexibility.

Start reading about the various members who have had cervical surgeries.

I would also suggest to start reading some of the detailed articles that Spine-Health provides.
    Start with this one Cervical Spine Surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many of us in your shoes or wore in your shoes and are past the surgery. Try to relax(I know easier said than done), but till you see the surgeon you have no idea what he/she is going to say. In the meantime, you might want to look in the FAQ section at the top of the page where you find a article on preparing to meet with a spine surgeon. Along with that article you will find another link to a list of questions to ask a spine surgeon. I would prepare two list of questions one as if you were not having surgery and the second one as if you were having surgery. That way you will be prepared for your meeting with the surgeon. Also it is always good to take someone with you to the surgeon for a second set of ears. Keep in mind being nervous is only natural, though and we all understand.

Have a look around the site. The most common type of neck surgery is ACDF(anterior cervical discectomy and fusion). There is a animated video here that shows the surgery, which will give you more understanding of what the surgery is. Also when they do the surgery they remove the disc and typically replace it with a bone graft(allograft=cadaver bone, autograft=your bone), and then use some hardware. If the surgery is on, the surgeon should have samples of the types of hardware.

Anyway just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything i can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care
  • Hello, and welcome. Of course nobody knows what the outcome of your injuries will be, and we all understand that fear, but if you read up on your condition sometimes that knowledge can help you relax a little. It is often the 'not knowing' that is the scariest, or most worry-some in the beginning. Many people here are suffering the same issues that you are-so you are not alone.. :)))

What's a Herniated Disc, Pinched Nerve, Bulging Disc...?
  • Howdy!! From coming from law enforcement I will ask you this. Should issues arise that you can't go back full time to fighting fires (I don't know what section you are assigned to). Is there any chance they can move you to investigations (arson) should your neck become an issue?

I know for me, my C5/6 was a complete success, but sadly the C6/7 went (and now C7/T8), so I had to retire - not a bad/bad - almost 30 years in. Just wanting to see if you looked at all options should things go bad? Fingers of course crossed that all goes well. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    First of all let me thank you for the job you do. My son is also a firefighter and many times they dont get the respect they deserve. That being said. I have had 5 surgeries on my neck. All 5 involved c5-6 somewhere in the equation. I returned to work after each one, I work for a doctor during the day and bartend at night.
    The outcome for each was a success except for the 4th surgery due to the neck collapsing. I was able to lift as much weight as I wanted after the fusion was complete. I had no restrictions. I hope you will be able to return to duty soon and once again thank you for the job you do.

• Thank y'all for the help and info I'm still currently working at my other job but its an everyday struggle I'm just counting down the days so hopefully ill b pain free thanks agai