Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myofascial Pain Syndrome

ihatepainiihatepain Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Fibromyalgia
I have lived with this extremely painful muscle disorder for years, along with mild fibro. The muscles in my neck have hard, ropey lumps that are painful to the touch. Also the worst spot is on both sides of the very top of my neck, where the muscle attaches to the base of the skull. Just minimal pressure on these spots sends radiating pain to the top of my head. On top of these muscle conditions, I also have herniated discs is my neck. Pain is a way of life now. I must say, that narcotics and muscle relaxers give me a somewhat normal life. I see a lot of people on here that take lyrica, and flexeril etc and are still suffering. If you can tolerate a stronger med like oxycodone, you should take it. DOnt worry about addiction. My neurosurgeon told me you can do permanent damage to your central nervous system if the pain is not controlled. The pain signals are constantly attacking the spinal column and over time becomes oversensitized, thus. even smaller pains become even more painful. This being said, your fibro/chronic pain will become worse over time if the pain is not controlled. A life of chronic pain is no way to live, but at least you can make it as comfortable as possible. I also find that hot tubs/water to be a great help as well.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    There is no question about the pain associate with your condition. Many members have the same thing.

Here is a good video from Spine-Health that illustrates myofascial pain

Myofascial Pain
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
    edited 10/06/2012 - 10:03 PM
    i used to go for hellerwork treatments (tissue lengthening massage), which were a big help. unfortunately, my practitioner is four hours away, so it just isn't practical. i've had lots of trigger point injections, which are a temporary relief; unfortunately i've built up a lot of scar tissue in some areas, which make those "ropy" areas even "ropier"! :shocked: (though one neurosurgeon told me that "needles don't cause scar tissue"....that would be why i'm getting a second opinion on a surgery he feels is necessary....).

i am in a sling for 12 weeks after shoulder surgery, so my sling aggravates everything even more....grrrr!!

so far i have not found a medication that will relieve the myofascial pain, and no muscle relaxants have made a significant difference.

good luck - i hope you find some relief.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • I too have MPS. I was 29 when I found out what was causing my pain (along with zygaphophyseal pain, peripheral neuropathic pain.) I was put on a cocktail of meds, I had bad side effects to Lyrica. I able to 'survive' with Zytram, Tramacet and getting nerve blocks each week, but then my digestive system began to protest the pills. I was told by my gastroenterologist to stop taking the pills. I still get the shots, every two weeks I get a massage. My massage therapist uses active release techniques and acccupressure, both give great relief - though sometimes brief.
    I tried intramuscular stimulation (IMS) but it didn't work for me, though many other patients had success. I do modified yoga ( chair yoga) & try to stay as positive as possible, though it is futile somedays.
    The knots and muscle spasms are the worst. I also get a lot of twiches in my muscles. knowing that I am not alone in this is comforting though I wouldn't wish this on anyone
This discussion has been closed.