Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What can we do?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Depression and Coping
This is probably one of the most frequent questions that I hear about.

It may not always come from folks that have or are scheduled for their first spinal surgery. But those of us that have been through it, perhaps more than once, need to pay closer attention to what we do and what we do not.

I only wished that I would have listened more to my surgeon back in 1978. If I did all the right things, would I have had to go through those additional 6 spinal surgeries?

But I know I can not change the past, but what I hope I can do is identify things that all of us can do to avoid follow up problems.

- Maintain a healthy diet
- Keep your weight in the range that is healthy for you
- Exercise to help your stamina, but not to overdo anything
- Listen to all the restrictions and limitations your doctor gave you.
- Use some good old common sense

By doing all the above, have we guaranteed that we will not have follow on problems? I wish I could say Yes, but
realistically I can not.

But I can say with all honesty is doing the above will help improve your odds of NOT having additional problems

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• but unfortunately if you look at most of the people lined up for more surgeries. They are overweight, have poor diets, and do little to no exercise at all. They fail the BMI tests miserably. Not just by a little.

One of the first things both surgeons I worked with told me. I was one of a few that showed up with a good BMI and actually had some muscle tone and stamina. They sent quite a few out to go loose weight before they would work on them. And these were people who had previous surgery and knew better.

The other biggie is smoking. My first surgeon told me quit or don't waste my time. We made a deal and I quit as my part of the bargain.

You are absolutely right on common sense. The simplest and most direct answer. Quite certainly overlooked or ignored. It means some of the things you like to do you should stop. Your basic health being one of the top choices.