Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am having a posterior and Anterior Lumbar fusion

lchilmaidllchilmaid Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I was wondering if anyone had had this surgery in 2 parts? And if they had 2 incisions? Recovery time? Things I should know when leaving hospital?

Thanks in advance and very nervous patient! Any info and feedback would be great

• I had that same surgery in Dec of 2010. I have two incisions about 5" long one from belly button down and the other from but crack up. The worst parts of the whole thing for me was the anxiety the days before and the car ride home wasn't much fun cause I felt every little bump. The other things that were kind of bad was getting on a schedual with the meds that I was sent home with and constipation. Make sure you take something for that before you get backed up because you here just about everyone complaining about that and it is no fun trust me. Try not to let yourself get to worked up about this because it will be over and you will be one the otherside of it before you know it and be like the rest of us saying that it wasn't that bad. Good luck.
  • I had this done on Feb 1. The day of surgery is pretty much a blur. I do remember being in a lot of pain that afternoon, especially when they tried to roll me to see my inscision on my back. The next day they had me get out of bed which was a chore! I sat in a chair...and then they forgot about me for 45 minutes which made me cry. No one would answer the call light. Each day after that got a bit easier. By day 3 I was walking the halls unassisted and went home on day 4.
    Post op constipation is a HORRRRID problem and make sure you take something consistantly. Once you get home, make sure you take your pain meds on schedule. You do not want to get "behind" the pain. Make sure you have stretchy pants or something becuase you will not be able to wear jeans for a while. I think it was 3 weeks before I could wear any, and it wasn't comfortable because of my front incsision. Make sure you have someone to help you for a bit. The length of time varies. For me it was a week before I could really feel comfortable staying home alone. Even then my neighbors had access to my house to check on me and such. Stock up on reading materials, crosswords, etc. You'll have plenty of time! I'm now at 6 weeks and have become addicted to them! ; ) Better those than the pain meds!

Look around the site, you'll find tons of great information!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Type that into the blue search box at the top of this page. and click on the first choice. You'll find a thread by saltzworks. With all of the prep. info you could possibly need. VERY INFORMATIVE!!!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!