Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 stage surgery?

B52BB52 Posts: 247
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Lower Back Pain
Morning y'all! I want to see if anyone knows about this. Here's the back story, so to speak. I had an L5-S1 PLIF in Nov '09. It never fused and now I'm going to have to get that repaired. I'm seeing the orthopedic dep't at Washington Univ. School of Medicine in St Louis. They contacted me Monday and proposed a revision surgery. It will be a '2 stage' surgery. Now, I'm not really sure of the order of this, but here's I what understand..on April 5th, they'll go in from the front and remove the failed fusion material from L5-S1, remove my bulged L4-L5 disc and maybe the L3-l4 disc. Then on the 8th,they'll go in and remove the old hardware and reinstall new screws and rods for a two or three level fusion. This will be using autograft bone, they say. Sounds hairy to me!

Anyone experience or know about surgeries being broken up over two days like that? April ain't far off, and I'm nervous. I'm taking a deep breath and counting to ten to calm down.

Mahalo & Aloha,

• I've heard of that, it seems to go well in cases I have known, but the hospital stay is longer. Logically, fusing from two directions would seem to be more likely to be solid. Did you have a prior anterior fusion?
  • No, my prior 1 level fusion was posterior. I sure hope this one goes well :)
  • Hi,

Iam 31yrs old housewife, I am suffering from grade I spondylolisthesis L4 over L5 since 2006 till date it is stable. I mean the slip in 2006 was 25% and now in 2011 still it is 25%. Last week I had severe pain in my both legs for one week. When i consulted spine surgeon he advised to go for fusion. but after taking rest and some pain killers iam fine now. I dont have any pain.
    I consulted one more surgeon he says I dont need fusion surgery since my slip is stable.
    Can i go for pregnancy now?
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I had 4 surgeries over a three day period of time to redo my neck. Total of 9 days in the hospital, 3 in ICU. So yes they do stage revisions. Often to much work to do in one surgical session.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I would talk to your doctor before you go for pregnancy to ask how it is likely to affect your spondylolisthesis.

I had fusion surgery last year for a grade 2 spondylolisthesis and they were amazed that I had had 3 pregnancies without getting a diagnosis.
    I did have bad back pain and sciatica during my pregnancy, but I thought everyone did, so didn't mention it to my doctor! They did tell me that young girls are offered fusion surgery for spondy because the weight of the baby growing is likely to cause pain from the slipped vertebra.

Possibly a grade 1 will not be so bad, but I would definately talk to an expert who really knows what the likelihood is that it will make your pain worse.

Welcome to Spine Health. Do let us know what you decide to do. We don't get many Spine Health babies on here. :-)

• How are you doing?

If all went to plan, you should be into your recovery now. Hope things are going well and that you are on the way to a more comfortable life. :-)

This discussion has been closed.