Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neuro or Ortho question......

nacho24nnacho24 Posts: 14
I have been dealing with a bulging/herniated disc issue in my back now for about 11 months. Been to two different doctors receiving the same treatment, shots and pt. In the past few weeks I have been having sever sciatic pain down my left leg... I've heard that I should have a neurologist check it out. My ortho said that this is not necessary as he can handle it. My question is do I go to the neuro tomorrow or just let my ortho handle it as he has recommended? Thanks in advance.

• My Dr. sent me for an EMG/nerve test with the Neurologist because of the numbness and tingling and pain in my leg from my herniated disc. I think it's a good idea to see the Neurologist as he does that EMG/nerve test and deals with nerve issues. Best wishes tomorrow. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. I personally have had my surgeon take care of everything. He orders all the test and what not. So personally I never had a neurologist involved. Now if your talking about going to a neurosurgeon then as long as it is a fellowship trained neuro and ortho they are going to do the same thing. But, you will find in many states the ortho's will handle your entire case once you begin treatment with them. Now if you go see the neuro and he does treatment the ortho may decide to bow out as he may feel you don't feel comfortable with his treatment protocol. Is there a reason you made a appointment with a neuro in place of letting the ortho handle your case?

Once again welcome to spine-health.
  • in talking with a few doctor friends the recommended that once you start with the nerve issues you should really have a neuro take a look at it as opposed to a general orthopedist... in addition it just feels like my ortho keeps going in circles with me... bad flare up means, steroid shot and tordol, pt and repeat... it's just getting old...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    For starters here is a brief description of the major doctors that people suffering with spinal problems go to see.

Whats the difference between A Chiropractor, Orthopedic Doctor a Neurosurgeon and a Neurologist

I think a lot depends on what your initial symptoms are. Back in the mid 1970's, I thought I was suffering from a hip problem. Therefore, I started out with an Orthopedic doctor. Eventually, the Orthopedic Surgeon did my first lumbar surgery, but all follow on spinal surgeries were done by a Neurosurgeon.

When I first starting experiences severe headaches that last for months and months, the first doctor I went to see was a Neurologist to do diagnostics to see if there was any cranial problem. Turned out to be Cervical disc problems, so back to the Neurosurgeon.

When you have a fusion, more than likely you will have both a Neurosurgeon (who takes care of the spinal cord, scrapping, etc) and the Orthopedic surgeon who handles the scrapping of bone to be used for the final fusion.

However, its more important that you stay with a doctor that you have complete trust in. If your Ortho says he can handle it and you trust him, then fine. As long as he knows IF and WHEN there came a time that he could no longer handle the situation.

But getting a second opinion is so very important. Different doctor disciplines tend to look at problems through their eyes, so perhaps there may be some variations on what they see and what they present to you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i appreciate the responses guys... i'm just at a point of frustration where i need to do something. my appt is with a neurologist not a neurosurgeon so i'm thinking it may be a waste based on your post... may just go ahead and cancel...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    and having another view of your problem might be ok to do.
    If your insurance company will handle the co-pay, I would not think a visit to the neurologist would be a waste.

Remember, we are giving you our own personal opinions. None of us are medical professionals, so listen to what we have to say and then based on several inputs make your own decision on whats best for you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • gotcha. i may just go ahead and meet with him in the morning then... i went and picked up my mri from last year this morning in preparation for the appt so i finally got to check out the disc issues just now...

i looks like l4-l5 was just a mild bulge with degenerative disc disease and l5-s1 has a good size bulge with the disc desiccation as well.. i'm worried that the l5-s1 has worsened over the course of the past year thus causing the sciatica issues. maybe it will be worthwhile getting a second opinion.
  • thanks for the advice guys! went to the neurologist today and he was amazing, will be handling my case from here on out.... it's so refreshing to finally find a doctor that understands what you're going through and knows what to do! cheers!