Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to site....

gwendoggwendo Posts: 9
hi all, only just found this site while looking for advise on pain relief... :''(
I got sciatica last year ,only because i stupidly tried to pick a big rock up and tore the right side of my back i was in agony for 9 weeks before it finally eased up.
then even more stupidly and not thinking i picked a bag of books up off the landing meaning tomove them and yes you guessed it pulled my back out again :jawdrop:
i have been like this for 4 weeks now no sign of a let up i can only describe the pain as someone has twisted barb wire around my leg from my bum to just above my knee while tightening a large corkscrew threw my calf muscle and putting a sledgehammer to my ankle :(
if i stand for about a half hour the pain is bleedin unbearable
so if anyone has a miracle cure be glad to hear it.
i promise never to pick anything up ever again
seriously though its one of the worse pains ever and wouldnt wish it on anyone ...hopefully it will pass but think i have weakened it after last year , been taking painkillers etc.
one person tells me to rest others say keep it moving
any advise would be appreciated .. ~X(

• would like to add i have fused neck too from wear n tear..bit knackered at the min
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you find many whom deal with sciatic and the associated lumbar issues. What type of treatments have you tried thus far? Have you had any test run? Also are you using ice and heat. For me the sciatic is best dealt with using ice. I have wrapped my entire leg in ice to to help the pain. Also once I get the pain down, stretching helps. Stretching is also a daily part of life to hold it off the best i can.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health.
  • thanks tamtam, last year i went docs and was given painkillers thats about it, i do have an electric heat pad which is very good...but after i have been on my feet for about half an hour the pain is awful, i work in a bingo so that doesnt help as am on my feet a lot.
    I am going to make an appointment for docs and see if he can give me any advice i did have physio last year but felt worse after!
    what is a test run?
    I just try to put up with it and sympathize witrh all you long term sufferers.
    will see what doc says when i see him :)
  • Howdy, and Welcome to Spine Health!!! I am a trifecta if you will... cervical, thoracic and lumbar. Most times they 'share' attention, but other times.... (G)

Sorry to hear you have standing issues. I can't even wash one dish without sitting back down! Hopefully you will have answers soon - be it pain meds, PT or shots - maybe surgery. If surgery is put on the table, don't feel bad about getting additional opinions from Orthos and Neuros! Please let us know how it goes. Gentle support *HUGZ* to you!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi brenda hugz back at you >:D< ...went docs today he has given me zapain again and tramedol(sp) so see how that goes he wants to scan it in a few weeks when the pain is easier to see what the prob actually is and go from there , so hopefully will get some answers ,he seems to think i weakened it bad after last years do #o .....thanks for your comments xx
  • went docs last night and he sending me for mri scan, got a phone call mthis mornin for my appointment ( quick or what lol) said to nurse on phone i was only at docs last night at 6 pm....apparently he faxed it through :) so going on monday for scan, hopefully will find out whats going on , never had one before mri that is ...so fingers crossed will get to the bottom of things ...so to speak :)
  • Grats on getting the MRI Gwendo. Hope now the doc can give you more information and treatment options.

• thanks catmom....went for mri scan just waiting on results now,said it would be about two weeks....pain still not easing. last year it eased off after 6/7weeks and eased off altogether eventually (apart from odd twing) so at least i will know soon ....