Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After Lyrica...then what?

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Pain Medications
Well I'm a lyrica dropout now..lol. Also stopped the topomax because of the side effects.

Tomorrow is my neuro appointment and I'm wondering what he will want to try next. When I started the Lyrica it seemed like it was the last option.

So I'm wondering what anyone has tried when Lyrica failed? I know it's for the doc to decide but I like to have some ideas before I get there so I can do a little research. He's really good about listening to my concerns but I really have no idea what will be next.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• My doctors changed me to cymbalta when the lyrica and neurotin failed. Well they did help the symptoms just some side effects that couldn't be worked out, with vision issues. But of course I use a combination approach to the medicines it was always more than just one med doing the work.
  • Unfortunately we have already gone through all the anti-depressants. They just don't seem to work for me. Neurontin worked the best but it stopped working even at the max dosage.

Ugh I hate going into this appointment without any idea of what he may propose. I'm lucky that my doctor is easy to contact by phone so if I have any questions afterward I know I can still talk to him.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865

I can understand your apprehensive regarding the upcoming doctor appointment.

I could not continue using Lyrica once the dosage started in about 150mg a day. I switched over to Neurontin, first at 300mg a day then to 2400mg a day and now a constant 1200mg a day. I've been on this for over a year now and it has helped control my nerve pain.

Kris, I am pretty sure you have already read this, but just in case: Neuropathic Pain Medications

It is good to know that you can continue to communicate with your doctor to see what will really help you.

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • There is also Savella. That was the last one that I tried.

• The docs can also try a combination of anti-seizure/anti-convulsant meds. It is called coconmitant drug therapy and it does work great.

• Well it was interesting....not. The neurologist seems to have given up. For now I am off of everything. But it's only the second day off the Lyrica so if the nerve burn comes back I will call him. He doesn't have any new ideas. I've tried, nortyp, savella, cymbalta and lyrica. Neurontin was my buddy for almost a year but I was up to 3600 mg and still having symptoms. When I fell last Fall he switched me off of it because he felt it was the cause.

What blew my mind was when he said I need to use imaging to forget the pain. Yeah....
  • C what would be an example of that type of drug? I'd like to look it up. I'm sure the pain is going to increase over the next few days as the Lyrica comes out of my system. Need some new ideas or a new doctor.
  • Hi Kris-I was on Lyrica two years ago and stopped it to take Cymbalta now I'm on Lyrica 25mg 3x day and don't want to go higher due to weight gain and fogginess but I'm using it for the sciatica.

I also take Oxycontin for pain and it did help the nerve pain also. What do you take for pain meds? I can't believe the Dr. gave up on trying Savella or Amitriptyline or something as you can't live in imagery all day long. It can help for a few moments but not forever. I hope you can find a new Dr. Does your Pain Management Dr. offer any advice. it was my second PM Dr. that offered Cymbalta which happened to work for my nerve pain and even my GP who gives all my pain meds just started me again on a small dose of Lyrica with the Cymbalta. Maybe some pain meds would help? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have done concomitant drug therapy with the following combinations

Neurontin and Carbamazepine (Tegretol)
    Neurontin with Lamotrigine (Lamictal).
    Neurontin and Duloxetne (Cymbalta)
    Neurontin and Oxycarbazepine (Trileptal)

The first two combinations were the most successful.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Too bad the Lyrica didn't work out for you. I'm still trying. They say give it 2 mo. Then we will Pay with the dosage a bit before I give up.
    My brother was on 300 mg. and couldn't deal with the side effects so he very slowly triated down. And at 75 mg. it worked wonders with no side effects....go figure.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • C thanks for that info. I will do some reading. I already feel the nerve pain coming back so by Monday I will probably be ready to call the neurologist.

Jim the lyrica was definately helping but the side effects were too much. When I stopped the meds I felt better mentally. I'm hoping that the weight will come off now.