Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tennis Elbow or My Neck

sassy411ssassy411 Posts: 199
I just so needed yet another source of pain that interferes with my ability to earn a living.

I don't know if it's a tennis elbow type thing or if it's caused by my neck, which shows moderate arthritis & pronounced DDD at C5 & C6--no nerve compression showed up on MRI.

My low back is a whole other story.

But, how do I know if this is a tendonitis or trouble from my neck? More importantly, how do I get it to go away asap?!

• Hi Sassy,

Interestingly, I've played tennis since I was 8 competitively and never once have I ever endured tennis elbow. That is until July of 2010. I am not a Dr. but I assure myself that it is all neck related. It began 3 months after I had the worst neck pain in the last 10 years. I was hopeful that surgery would have relieved my pain...that didnt happen :( although I have okay days where it's not as painful. Go and get an elbow band at your local walmart or pharmacy. I have one...but I don't wear it often...I've just acclimated to the chronic annoying feeling...but they do help. Also, Ice before going to bed helps. Lastly, if you can get some anti inflammatory med from you PCP...this helps too. Sorry to hear your having issues. Feel better!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    To make sure what it really is, you need to see your Primary Care Physician.

But just from what you posted, it seems like this discomfort is something new and hasn't been before. I would expect that if it is tennis elbow(tendinitis) you would have some earlier signs and also be able to identify how it could have started.

I wouldn't even comment if you should start taking some anti-inflammatory medications or using a tennis elbow band. For now, I would just ice it until you get to have it seen.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i have found ultrasound to help sometimes, but the band, ice and resting your arm are the best bets; obviously the more you use it, the worse it gets. i had a couple of cortisone shots into the tendons, but i ended up with a large "divot" in the skin, which lasted for months. my concern is the damage that may have been done inside, though i did appreciate the relief from that pain!

if you have a good physiotherapist, they can probably help you figure out where the pain is coming from, but it would probably be wise to see your doctor first.

good luck - i sympathize with the widespread issues!

• did gentle manual traction on my neck to relieve the pain in my elbow, not completely but enough to make it bearable and she used ultrasound on my neck to help also. Sometimes heat on my elbow is soothing and I've had cortisone shots in the past. If it's relieved with heat then I know it's my elbow and not my neck or is it? It's hard when you have cervical problems especially at C6-C7 where the elbow is affected. If I'm doing a lot of work I use an elbow brace.

But of course you should see your Primary Dr. and he may give you the right options, We can only say what we do. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN